General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine not starting...diagnosis plz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Default engine not starting...diagnosis plz?

i tried starting my car today but to my disappointment it wouldn't start. there is a medium level [not soft nor alarmingly loud] grinding sound as i turn the ignition to start the car. but it continues grinding as i hold the key.
i have gas, so thats not it.
i figure it can either be the battery or starter. if its the starter, how easy is it to remove?
any ideas???

my car is a 1999 honda accord lx, 4 dr, automatic, with 80k.

thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: engine not starting...diagnosis plz?

sounds to me like the starter gear isnt engaging the flywheel. Try getting a jump from someone, see if that helps. If that works, then you need a new battery. If not, come back and tell us.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Possibly the starter solenoid is on it's way out. Sound like the solenoid cant fully engage the pinion.

I have the same car as you, the starter is held in with (2) 17mm bolts (short on top, long one on the bottom), a 14mm nut holds the power wire and the solenoid wire just pulls off. You'll have to pull the radiator hose out of it's holder and move it to the right. Be careful, it's really hot after running the car. Getting the starter out of the mess of wires and hoses can be tricky, but you won't have to remove anything else to take it out.

Once out of the car, check it with jumper cables attached to a battery. Connect the red (+) to the gold terminal on it and the black (-) to the case of the starter. Bridge the terminal and solenoid with a screwdriver, but be careful not to shock yourself. The solenoid should pop the pinion gear out and spin.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM

You can do the "caveman test" to see if it is the starter as well. While someone tries to start the car, whack the starter with a heavy wrench or hammer caveman-style. If it cranks, it's the starter.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Not so sure it's the starter...

Starter gear not engaging the flywheel usually makes a pretty horrible noise. Bad starter motor usually makes no sound at all, or just a click.

Ally, before you start hitting things, check this for us... Open the hood & watch while someone tries to start it. Watch the drive belts (alternator, powersteering). If those spin, then the starter is doing it's job.