General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Oil Leak, Accord 95 Where to End

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Default Engine Oil Leak, Accord 95 Where to End

One problem after another.

Car : Accord 95 EXI, 4 cy, 2.2L Auto
First I found oil on spark plug, i changed valve cover gasket and spark plug seal. then changed distributor o ring. gave the car to honda dealer and they said sump bent (damaged) replaced with new sump with gasket. but underneath of car including transcover always flooded with oil.

beside the starter motor there is a channel (like a canal), i guess it is the top of the transmission, but area always flooeded as well. what to look for? please advise.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Can't remember if the EXi models in Australia came with vtec or not?

Are you sure it is engine oil and not trans fluid? There are trans lines running in that area.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Distributor internal seal (shaft seal) is prone to leak w/ age. Oil drips from the lower seam of distributor (vent hole) and drops in the "valley" you mention. This is likely one source of oil leakage.

Others are; oil pressure switch on back side of engine, vtec assy on RH side of engine, rear balance shaft cover oring (LH side of engine).

Fixing the distributor either requires replacement of distributor or replacement of seal (major distriibutor surgery). See following video:

good luck

Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Major Problem now.
Engine oil was leaking between engine and trans joint area.
Yesterday it became worse. Recently sump was replaced by a mechanic. after that i drove the car a fair bit. yesterday i noticed the floor was flooded with engine oil. i looked underneath and noticed when i turn off the car the oil drips like a tap water for couple of seconds and then slows down. i always check engine and trans oil dipstick. auto oil level always remains same but i had to pour engine oil every now and then.
The car is not VTEC
could it be main seal completely gone? if thats the case, how much labor involved to replace rear main seal? i wont do the job but would help me to get quote. Thanks for your kind input as always.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

IF it is the rear main seal - well the trans has to come out to get to it. So the labor hours will add up pretty quick. The seal is a ~$15 part, I'd guess the labor to change it is ~$300.

Need to try to confirm as best you can that is the source of the leak. Clean the area(s) as best you can, start the car and start looking for the leak.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Agree with poorman212 it is likely the rear main seal. You can take the lower fly wheel cover off to see inside the transmission housing to confirm. Should be a black plate with two 10mm head bolts on the top and I think either one 10mm bolt on the bottom or two 12mm ones on the bottom. Either way if you are looking at the bottom where the engine mounts to the trany you will see the plate. They are really easy to replace on the generation assuming all the exterior bolts are not rusted beyond belief. As far as interior work goes you will need a 10mm 12pt socket and a 17mm 12pt for the fly wheel. That is for a manual otherwise you won't need the 10mm 12pt socket. Flywheel bolts torque to around 79 ft lbs.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM

took the car to the shop and they gonna change rear main seal. changed the sump two weeks ago and the shop did that very well (!). an inch like gap all around the gasket between engine and sump. thats why when i turned engine off oil starts dripping like a water tap. dont want to go back to the shop to complain or refund because there is an old man who works there, he changed the gasket. upon my complain he might loose his job and i dont want that. but at least need to let them know their quality.