General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't crank intermittently after normal driving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:28 AM
slicnarf
Unregistered
Default Engine won't crank intermittently after normal driving...

Hi all.

I had made a post a while back and would like to thank everyone for their input and support with the given situation.I would also like to apologize for my lack of response to the replies i received as I was unable to get access to an internet connection (long story)..

Anyway, so I'm still having trouble, as the subject of the post points out, with starting my 1995 accord ex v6 after a short or long term drive. It used to happen from time to time but now I'm seeing that it's consistently occuring. I took it into the mechanic and they were stumped as well (and not too happy that I had asked to have a PGM-FI Relay brought in only to have them diagnose that it was not the Relay at all but something else.. oops). When the problem occurs the engine will not turn over or crank at allbut all the dash lights, cabin lights, and headlights come on (My stereo was stolen by some puss-bag a couple of months back and I figure I should fix this issue before getting a new one installed). You would think that it's just a poor charged battery/alternator or what have you but the odd thing is that if I leave the car alone overnight (or a substantially less if left in the cold) the car starts just fine no hiccups or anything. Another puzzling thing is that when I went away and came back a couple of weeks later the battery was virtually drained (dash lights/headlights/cabin lights all out of commision). The thing that troubles me is that it used to take much less time before the car would start again but the time it takes for the starter to "restart" itself is taking much longer... I'm at a loss and I'm so close to giving up...

Thanks in advance for the help and I just realized I didn't mention a few things that I've already done and tried and I'll list them below.

-Checked battery cables/connections and cleaned them up with a steel brush so that everything's clean (there wasn't any noticeable corrosion or white powder)
-Replaced the battery a couple of months ago (It was just the base Energizer battery from Wal Mart... could this be it? If so why does it start again after it's rested/gone completely cold?)
-Almost replaced PGM-FI Main Relay but did not as the mechanic advised not to considering engine does not crank
-Ignition Coil was alsoinquired aboutthrough mechanic but was advised that it was most likely not the issue and a waste of time and money for me

I hope this is enough information for you all.

Just in case my sig doesn't show I'll make a manual one...

1995 EX-V6
162 xxx KMs
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]Soon to be Street Fightered Unless a Miracle Occurs ARGHHH!!!!! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Default RE: Engine won't crank intermittently after normal driving...

Sorry to hear about your stereo. I didn't know people still took them.

Have you checked out the main relay? Are the stereo wires taped off? If they are shorting it could drain the battery pretty quickly. Have you checked the ecu?

Is your car manual or automatic?

Also, the not cranking issue seems like the starter to me. I have seen cars do similar things where they only crank at certain times. Might want to consider checking that out.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Next time it happens, hit the starter with a broomstick or something. If that kicks it to life, then you need a new starter. (Or take it apart & install new contacts & brushes if you feel like doing it that way)

Old 11-21-2007, 08:50 AM

x2 on smacking the starter when trying to crank it. If smacking the starter helps it crank, you know you need a new one. Try that and get back to us. Also check those wires as Planefreak suggested. You would be surprised at what a few wires touching each othercan do to your car.

Planefreak, the 95-97 V6 models only came in automatic. I WISH they came in manual!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
slicnarf
Unregistered

Hmm never thought about giving the b*tch a smack but gladly haha. I just need to duplicate the problem again which means I need to be driving around for awhile and then let the car rest but I'll definitely try that out. As for the stereo wiring I'm not too sure but the previous owner had the stereo wired separate so that the amp was directly wired to the battery. I took the gold fuse from the amp wire and also removed the wired completely from the battery connection as well. So you guys don't think it's just because I have a cheaper/poorer quality battery?

Oh and as for the main relay, as per my initial, post the mechanic already diagnosed that it wasn't the issue.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

One thing about the last post ..... when I pull the main fuse from the inline holder for my amp, the contacts can slide in and touch ..... make sure that this isn't causing a short for you since you mentioned that you removed the fuse to take the system out of the equation. I usually roll up a tube of paper and stick it in place of the fuse when I need to work on the power wiring.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 PM
slicnarf
Unregistered

I've taken the wire off the battery completely so there won't be any issue with that anymore. I tried tapping the starter with a wrench while my girlfriend tried starting the car but the damn thing is stuck beneath hosing and such that it's hard to get a good smack in. I don't know if this helps but I thought I should mention the fact that when this occurs I can get the car running again if I give it a boost from another car or a fresh battery. Would this still be the starter/solenoid? At the same time when it won't start/crank I tested the car with cabin lights and headlights and neither dimmed substantially or enough to be called a drain so battery is not the issue.. [/align]

Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

The starter takes several times more power than all the other electrical stuff put together. So just because the lights aren't dim, that doesn't prove the battery's good.

Sometimes a bad starter will not respond to being hit. So that test only means something if it works.It doesn't prove anything if it doesn't work.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your description of starting problem needs to be refined:

1) Does starter make any noise (loud click), or dead silence when you turn the key? Loud clicks but not turnover indicate solenoid problems. Dead silence suggests battery or keyswitch issues.

2) If starter turns over, does it turn over slowly? Slow start revs could be battery or less likely, a dragging starter.

3) You cleaned the battery posts. Did you remove the battery post connectors and clean internal post contact ring? If not, you missed the key parts. Reclean them by removing, dipping in baking soda/water solution and holding for 10 mins, then flusihing w/ fresh water. Apply some battery corrosion preventive (NC17? red spray works great, available at Walmart).

good luck