General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory security alarm ALWAYS armed - 2000 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Default Factory security alarm ALWAYS armed - 2000 Honda Accord EX

Here's what happened:

1. I pulled up to a Wells Fargo bank to deposit a Christmas check .
2. I turned off the car and opened the door.
3. I remembered that I hadn't signed the check, so I jumped back in. I locked all doors with the driver's side switch. (habit, I guess)
4. I unlocked the driver's side door manually and opened the door. The factory security alarm went off as soon as the door opened. (headlights flashing and horn honking.)
5. I put my key in the ignition and started the car. Alarm continued to go off. I put the car in reverse and started backing up, but the alarm continued to go off.
6. After several "WTF's", I parked the car again and turned it off. After two minutes from the time I opened the door, the alarm went off. (I think it times out at 2 minutes.)
7. I disconnected the car's battery for 60 seconds and reconnected it only to hear the alarm go off immediately for two more minutes.
8. After poking around I have determined the following: The security alarm is armed ALL THE TIME (driver's side "security" light is always blinking). For example: a.) If I am driving, and open the car door at a red light, the alarm will sound for 2 minutes. b.) If the hood is open, and the drivers side door is open, any other door that is opened will set off the alarm for 2 more minutes.

Some notes: I haven't used my key fobs in months. They were both over a mile away from the car when the alarm went off. The car battery is less than a year old. I have never tampered with the security system wiring, or every had any issues with it in the past. I am going to try playing with one of my key fobs tomorrow to see if I can disarm the alarm system that way.

Any ideas towards a resolution? At a minimum, I want to disable the alarm system. It would be great to fix it entirely, but after this escapade in 30 degree weather in a bank parking lot at 9:30PM, I want to make sure it doesn't EVERY happen again.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have the owners manual, it should help with this.

If you do not, you can go to Honda's site and enter your car info and download one.

www dot ahm-ownerlink dot com

Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM

The Honda manual only specified how the panic button works, nothing about how to handle the security system once it has been activated.

A simple unlock push of the key fob did the trick!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

For future reference, these are the installation instructions for the factory alarm system, which shows how to disarm it without the key fob and the different mode settings on the control unit.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...rdsecurity.pdf

You may want to save a copy of the pdf, as most Honda dealers are starting to not carry the security system for your car and are beginning to not have the instructions for it on-line anymore. For example, Majestic Honda use to have the instructions; but, not anymore. HandA Accessories still does, for now...

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

The instructions doesn't say it; but, it should be pressing the disarm button, while turning the ignition switch to 'ON'.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by rocketkidd777
A simple unlock push of the key fob did the trick!
Thanks for the PDF!