General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fan running after Engine shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Default Fan running after Engine shut off

Hello Honda forum members,

I have a 93 accord with 156,000 mi, and the fan has been switching on just after I shut off the engine. The fan will run for a few minutes and then stop, and also, the heat gauge never reads over 1/2 way. After reading some related posts I've come up with these thoughts:
The sensor trouble shooting posts are over my head.
My coolant level is good, and I've just had flushed and refilled.
Also, the car blew a head gasket during an overheat in the past. The owner at the time paid for a serious rebuild and sold the car shortly there after. Also, the fan doesn't switch on after running the heater. Should I be taking this as a serious sign, or is it something that I should just keep in mind while driving?

-Oh my honda

Old 02-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

No, that sounds normal. Is it hot where you live?

If the fan runs for a long time after turning off the car, that's not normal.

If you start the car cold, only run a couple minutes (so it's not warmed up); then the fan should NOT run after turning off the car.

How does your temperature gauge behave? It should stay below 1/2, more like about 1/3, for pretty much all the time.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

“Also, the fan doesn't switch on after running the heater.” Running the heat with the fan on will cool the engine temp some and you may be running a little hot. The cooling fan coming on after you shut it off is normal but I suggest you check out if it is running a little too hot. One thing you can visually check is the condition of the radiator cooling fins on the outside toward the bottom. When the fins become detached, missing and gooey the Radiator can no longer cool properly. My 95 Accord did the same thing with the cooling fan coming on more often over the years but I didn’t bother to find out why. The Radiator was bad and I killed the head gasket, most of the time a brown head gasket is the result of overheating not the cause.