General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans won't turn on 1992 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Default Fans won't turn on 1992 Honda Accord LX

I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX. I just replaced the radiator yesterday since the seal broke and noticed that the fans weren't coming on. I hooked the fans up to the battery directly and they work fine. I have replaced the thermostat about a month ago and all the hoses are new. I know nothing about cars other than adding fluids so any help would be appriciated. I tested the coolant temp guage sender yesterday and according to the testing procedure I found online that's not the issue. My dad put a ohmmeter on other stuff and that all looked good (so he said). I drove 20 miles home with a wire connecting the fan to the battery and was smoking like crazy when I got home although the temp guage on dash registered normal. After it cooled off I checked the radiator fluid and it was full still. My brother suggested testing the water pump so I plan on doing that today. Does anyone have any other suggestions since it's Sunday and I can't really get any kind of parts today. PLEASE HELP I need my car

Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Im going to take a guess and say that you haven't checked your fan relay fuse yet..

Its the underhood fuse box, C909

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

1. With A/C turned on, do both fans at the radiator run? The fan on the driver’s side is the A/C condenser fan and the fan on the passenger side is the radiator fan.

2. Follow the lower radiator hose to the engine. The lower radiator hose is attached to the thermostat housing on the engine block. There is a fan switch (thermo-switch A) there. Disconnect the electrical connector (usually a green connector) from the switch. With a small paper clip or wire, jump the terminals on the electrical connector and turn the ignition to ON. Does the radiator fan run?

Even if there was a problem with the water pump, if the coolant temp. reach a certain threshold, the cooling fans should still turn on. Resolve the cooling fan issue first.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Check the things I posted previously and report back.

1. Then check the No. 29 fuse (15A) and No. 39 (20A) fuses, located in the under-hood fuse/relay box (see attached pic.). No. 29 protects the condenser fan and radiator fan control module. No. 39 protects the radiator fan motor.

2. As a quick check whether there may be a problem with the radiator fan relay (located in the same under-hood fuse/relay box), you can probably swap the power window relay with the radiator fan relay to see if anything changes. I think both relays are the same type.

Also report back regarding this items to check. It may possibly turn out to be something else such as the radiator fan control module, located inside the cabin under the driver's side dash.

Attached Thumbnails Fans won't turn on 1992 Honda Accord LX-under-hood-fuse-relay-box.jpg  
Old 06-23-2016, 05:37 PM

ive tried all this and I still don't have any power to my fan

Old 06-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Default tried all this and still have no power to fan

tried all this and still have no power to fan

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Check the things I posted previously and report back.

1. Then check the No. 29 fuse (15A) and No. 39 (20A) fuses, located in the under-hood fuse/relay box (see attached pic.). No. 29 protects the condenser fan and radiator fan control module. No. 39 protects the radiator fan motor.

2. As a quick check whether there may be a problem with the radiator fan relay (located in the same under-hood fuse/relay box), you can probably swap the power window relay with the radiator fan relay to see if anything changes. I think both relays are the same type.

Also report back regarding this items to check. It may possibly turn out to be something else such as the radiator fan control module, located inside the cabin under the driver's side dash.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Randy Randolph
ive tried all this and I still don't have any power to my fan
Does your car have one or two fans?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

For that matter, what car do you have? (I'll assume it's an Accord) This thread was about a 1992, and the whole fan-control scheme has changed a couple times since then.
1998-2002
2003-2004
2005+ ?

Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Default 2 fans

yes it has 2 fans and the one on the driver side is the one that's not working. yes it is an accord but its an 01

Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM

the radiator fan control moduale was the problem. I took it apart and resoldered some bad spots.

Quick Reply: Fans won't turn on 1992 Honda Accord LX