General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front End Noise In 2005 Accord

Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Default Front End Noise In 2005 Accord

My wifes 2005 Accord(Automatic-V-6) has been making a loud popping noise when she puts it in reverse. I have the Honda Extended Warranty Plan and I have had it to 3 different Honda dealers and they keep telling me that they cannot find anything wrong with it, I finely gave up on Honda and took it to a reputable mechanic who works at a garage which is located on a Navy Base and he instructed me to let them keep it over night so it would be cold when he first tried it in the morning, he and another front end man who works there determined that the noise is coming from the Transmission area when its placed in reverse, so I had the mechanic write up a report and off we went again to my local Honda garage, they read the report and they had me leave it over night and again they said they could find nothing wrong with it even though it made the noise when we were there and they heard it. My question is have any of you ever heard of a Transmission problem with the 2005 model?, if so is Honda stringing owners along until the extended warranty runs out, also does anyone know if I can call Honda and ask to have a representative from Honda meet us at the Honda Dealer so we can let him or her hear the noise for themselfs.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest having the motor mounts inspected carefully. When you place car in reverse the motor mounts are loaded in opposite direction. Any looseness might cause a popping sound.

Anti-sway bar bushings (large bar bushings can pop when they get dry). This would usually also pop when going over a bump.

CV Axle that is loose. Again reversal of load might cause the looseness to result in a pop.

Problems like this are difficult to diagnose and repair. Hence, the shop's preference to cite "unable to reproduce problem" and send you home. Maybe you won't come back. To be fair, they can spend a lot of time and get nowhere. I suspect Honda limits how much they'll pay for this type of service, to discourage "fishing expediations" at Honda's expense.

I believe there is a Honda Customer Representative (see owner's manual) that can be called when you're having problems w/ a dealer.

good luck

Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Default reply to KeystoneKid

KeystoneKid - did you ever get a solution Im having the same problem with my 2005 honda accord ex 4 cyclinder. When I put it in reverse and press the gas it makes a popping noise.

There was just a recent (2011) recall done that sounds like this could be the problem but not sure. A description of the recall is below but when I brought the car in for the recall it was just a simple software update to prevent the problem. I think what happend was I was too late and the damage was done. Before I drop a ton of cash at a dealer to get it fixed Im trying to do some homework. Any advice would be amazing.

TexasHonda: great advice I will make sure I keep all of those things in mind when I get it checked.

Here is a description of the recall:
Recall Date:
AUG 04, 2011
Model Affected:
2005 Honda Accord
Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2010 ACCORD, 2007-2010 CR-V, AND 2005-2008 ELEMENT PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 1, 2004, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 3, 2010. THE OUTER RACE OF THE SECONDARY SHAFT BEARING MAY BE BROKEN DURING CERTAIN DRIVING STYLES. A BROKEN OUTER RACE MAY CAUSE ABNORMAL NOISE, THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT TO TURN ON, AND ALLOW CONTACT BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION IDLE GEAR AND AN ELECTRONIC SENSOR HOUSING WITHIN THE TRANSMISSION.
Consequences:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A SHORT CIRCUIT CAUSING THE ENGINE TO STALL. ADDITIONALLY, BROKEN PIECES OF THE OUTER RACE OR BALL BEARING FROM THE SECONDARY SHAFT MAY BECOME LODGED IN THE PARKING PAWL RESULTING IN THE VEHICLE ROLLING AFTER THE DRIVER HAS PLACED THE GEAR SELECTOR IN THE PARK POSITION. ENGINE STALL AND UNEXPECTED VEHICLE MOVEMENT INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH OR PERSONAL INJURY TO PERSONS WITHIN THE PATH OF A ROLLING VEHICLE.
Remedy:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 27, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-999-1009.

Read more: Used 2005 Honda Accord Recalls - 2005 Honda Accord Recall Reports - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by RockThomas
KeystoneKid - did you ever get a solution Im having the same problem with my 2005 honda accord ex 4 cyclinder. When I put it in reverse and press the gas it makes a popping noise.

There was just a recent (2011) recall done that sounds like this could be the problem but not sure. A description of the recall is below but when I brought the car in for the recall it was just a simple software update to prevent the problem. I think what happend was I was too late and the damage was done. Before I drop a ton of cash at a dealer to get it fixed Im trying to do some homework. Any advice would be amazing.

TexasHonda: great advice I will make sure I keep all of those things in mind when I get it checked.

Here is a description of the recall:
Recall Date:
AUG 04, 2011
Model Affected:
2005 Honda Accord
Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2010 ACCORD, 2007-2010 CR-V, AND 2005-2008 ELEMENT PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 1, 2004, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 3, 2010. THE OUTER RACE OF THE SECONDARY SHAFT BEARING MAY BE BROKEN DURING CERTAIN DRIVING STYLES. A BROKEN OUTER RACE MAY CAUSE ABNORMAL NOISE, THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT TO TURN ON, AND ALLOW CONTACT BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION IDLE GEAR AND AN ELECTRONIC SENSOR HOUSING WITHIN THE TRANSMISSION.
Consequences:
THIS COULD RESULT IN A SHORT CIRCUIT CAUSING THE ENGINE TO STALL. ADDITIONALLY, BROKEN PIECES OF THE OUTER RACE OR BALL BEARING FROM THE SECONDARY SHAFT MAY BECOME LODGED IN THE PARKING PAWL RESULTING IN THE VEHICLE ROLLING AFTER THE DRIVER HAS PLACED THE GEAR SELECTOR IN THE PARK POSITION. ENGINE STALL AND UNEXPECTED VEHICLE MOVEMENT INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH OR PERSONAL INJURY TO PERSONS WITHIN THE PATH OF A ROLLING VEHICLE.
Remedy:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 27, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-999-1009.

Read more: Used 2005 Honda Accord Recalls - 2005 Honda Accord Recall Reports - Motor Trend Magazine
Thomas I took it to 2 different Honda dealers and one told me the noise was normal and the other told me they couldn't hear nothing, Then we took it to my mechanic who does my front end alinements and he felt it was coming from the tranny so back to the Honda garage we went one more time and left it there over night, the next morning we get a phone call telling us they drove it and went over the whole front end and they couldn't find anything wrong "Even thought it made the noise when we back out of the parking lot". then we made a 1100 mile trip up to my Mother-In-Laws house and the noise and popping sound got even worst so I pulled it into a garage up there and pulled the front wheels off and started to check everything and by accident I grabbed a hold of the brake caliber on the passenger side and it moved, I soon discovered that both of the bolts holding the Right front brake on were finger loose so I tightened them up and NO MORE NOISE.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by KeystoneKid
I pulled it into a garage up there and pulled the front wheels off and started to check everything and by accident I grabbed a hold of the brake caliber on the passenger side and it moved, I soon discovered that both of the bolts holding the Right front brake on were finger loose so I tightened them up and NO MORE NOISE.
Doesn't say much for the mechanics at the numerous dealers you visited. This should have been an automatic check while they had it in the air the first time. Wow!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by KeystoneKid
Thomas I took it to 2 different Honda dealers and one told me the noise was normal and the other told me they couldn't hear nothing, Then we took it to my mechanic who does my front end alinements and he felt it was coming from the tranny so back to the Honda garage we went one more time and left it there over night, the next morning we get a phone call telling us they drove it and went over the whole front end and they couldn't find anything wrong "Even thought it made the noise when we back out of the parking lot". then we made a 1100 mile trip up to my Mother-In-Laws house and the noise and popping sound got even worst so I pulled it into a garage up there and pulled the front wheels off and started to check everything and by accident I grabbed a hold of the brake caliber on the passenger side and it moved, I soon discovered that both of the bolts holding the Right front brake on were finger loose so I tightened them up and NO MORE NOISE.
--

Keystone,

Sorry its been forever since I replied..Thank you for your reply. Im actually up for a oil change and need to rotate my tires so I will mention your tip to my mechanic. Hopefully it works..Thanks again..If I find out its something else Ill keep the form up to date encase someone else has this issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM

I've had the same problem; car pops when putting it into reverse, dealer can't find the problem. I'll check the calipers and see if that helps