General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord '98 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Default Accord '98 overheating

Hello,

This are my car specifications:

- Honda Accord '98
- Automatic LX
- 2.2 liter 4 cilinder
- 123,000 miles
- Both fans work (edit)
- Radiator cap is 8 months old (edit)
I recently cleaned the radiator and changed the thermostat 8 months ago. Also changed the alternator/compressor belt this week.

I live 1 hour drive from my workplace and I half of the time is uphill driving in traffic jam. Most of the time the temperature gauge is at 1/3, just below half. But when I turn the AC on and I'm driving uphill the temperature goes up, usually to half and if I drive a little longer the temperature can go up to 2/3. I never let it pass that point because I turn the AC off and the temperature start falling to half again. When I get to the flat road the gauge meter goes back to 1/3.

It's very stressing to deal with this. I can sort this out by keeping the AC off while driving uphill in traffic jam but there should be a solution to this problem.

I hope you can help me because I have taken the car to the shop so many times and the problem still remains.

Thank you very much in advance,

Eliel

Last edited by Elielmau; 10-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is coolant level full and not declining w/ time?

Make sure both fans are coming on (turn AC to On and keyswitch to On to check). Combination of fan out, low speed, AC on, and hill might cause overheating, depending on forward speed.

In my experience, Accords will not overheat as long as you're moving (20mph or higher) due to lack of air flow. So fans or thermoswitch A seem unlikely.

Make sure you don't have trapped air (unlikely after this much time), but check the air bleeder on the top of the engine near thermostat housing.

Your problem is more likely a faulty thermostat (faulty out of box is not uncommon). Suggest replacing w/ OEM Honda thermostat.

good luck

Old 10-04-2012, 12:31 PM

The coolant level does decline with time. However I filled it up today and it was OK before starting the car.
I'll check both fans are coming on when AC is on.
Do you think it might be the thermostat even when the car doesn't overheat in normal flat driving?
Thank you for your quick response.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The coolant level does decline with time.
It shouldn't. About how often do you add coolant? Any external leaks?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Back with a suggestion from TX - if you having to add coolant from time to time I'm going to assume you also have some air in the system.

Need to figure out where the coolant is going. Once that is resolved be sure to bleed the air out of the cooling system.