General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord 4cyl humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Default 99 accord 4cyl humming sound

My car has another sound now. Lol. Well, there is a sort of humming sound that comes from the front end of the car, passenger side. When I first accelrate it starts to making a humming sound. When I accelerate harder, the sound gets louder. Around 30 mph the sound disappears. Also if i'm moving at a slow speed and not accelerating there isn't much humming noise either. Asked a friend he said maybe p/s is low on fluid? I have no idea. The noise is kinda annoying and loud. Any ideas? Thx dudes.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 accord 4cyl humming sound

Maybe you could OPEN THE HOOD, check the P/S fluid level. You could also have the engine running in park and open the throttle to see if you can hear the noise, and figure where it's coming from. Might just be air intake noise.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM

i have an 04 EX and when my PS fluid is low its more of a whine.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM

Maybe it's a whine or a hum...i have no idea how to describe it. my gf dubbed it a whine lol. sorry i'm kind of noobish but is there suppose to be a dipstick for the p/s resevoir? there's just a red cap on it. Also, how high up shd it be when the engine is cold. It's probably not quite halfway full. Maybe 1/3 full. It says only use honda genuine p/s fluid is that true too? Sorry for being lost here. I don't have a manual for the car either so i'm extremely confused. sigh.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 PM

unscrew the cap and if there is not dipstick attached to it then your high/low level's are just going to be indicated by lines on the side/inside of the resevoir....

Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 PM

fluid is fine...right at the level it's suppose to be. so is the sound the air filter? or maybe exhaust?

Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 PM

it's not a high pitched squeel like noise is it? If it's a high pitched squeel (almost like a screeching noise) it could be a loose belt, if it's more of a whine or a whirr like noise (gotta love those technical terms!) then it may be a few things... Does it do it at idle if you increase RPM's? pop the hood and listen, have someone rev the car a bit and see if you can get the noise to re-produce, if so then start looking for the area where it appears to be coming from and post that info here, also look for a "Wobbly" pulley if it's in the area of a belt, I had a car produce a strange noise when the water pump was going out... if you see a pulley that appears to be "rocking" from side to side a bit then that could do it as well, just gather whatever info you can and let us know

Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Please reread the first post I made. Try what I said to do. We can't hear the noise and only you can.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 AM

oops my mistake....yeah, when i open up the hood and somebody revs engine....no sound. belts all seem fine, no squeaking etc. i had my buddy drive the car and tried to listen to where the sound is coming from, all i can tell is the front right side. i am unable to pinpoint it's specific location. i guess it's more of a whine than a hum. i had co worker drive the car and listen and he told me it's just normal. i'm not use to 4 cylinders so i might be just tripping out since it's used car and i'm paranoid sigh.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 AM

Does this car have any mods done to it?

Quick Reply: 99 accord 4cyl humming sound