General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 honda accord lx oil leak

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1997 honda accord lx oil leak

GOODKAR's got 212,000 miles on it, still runs like a champ, but it's developed a leak from right near where the oil filter screws into the block (?). Not pouring out, but a fairly steady drip while running, intermittently at rest. It doesn't appear to be leaking from where the filter screws into the block, but just to the side. It was impossible to see from below without flashlight and mirror and even then it was difficult to see exactly where it was leaking. My mechanic says he can't fix it, advises me to find someone who can (and would) seal the crack or whatever the opening is by welding it closed. One of the mechanics said aluminum welding, the other disagreed. Assuming some sort of welding will be required (please disagree if so inclined), I'm desirous of being able to describe to the welder exactly what and where to weld but lack any fotos or diagrams or labels to convey this information.

From my research, and from the VIN, I've been able to ascertain the engine was manufactured at Honda of America, the VDS is CD563 (I understand what the VDS means but not what this CD563 means, per se), the serial number of the engine itself (digits 12-17) is 059665.

I want to keep this vehicle for sentimental if not financial reasons. My question to you is: from what I've been able to describe, does my mechanic's solution sound valid to you? i.e., would it require aluminum welding to seal? and how would I convey this to a prospective welder?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Saw this somewhere else......Again, I'd have someone check the oil pressure switch. Also the "adapter" that the oil filter screws onto has an o-ring (need help for the proper name and part number...help me here folks) behind it that will sometimes leak.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default re: 1997 honda accord lx oil leak

thanks, poorman212. as well for your response at honda-tech, interesting that the two forums are so similar and that you replied to both posts both sites.

so far the only "disagreement" is the advice from my mechanic, that it would require welding to solve. i definitely prefer your solutions and those of the others at honda-tech. it will be interesting to see which solution actually solves the problem, and/or whether i need to look for another mechanic, although his solution would not have lined his pockets, either. at least he was able to identify the source or general area of the leak itself.

i'll be sure to keep y'all posted and thanks again.

steve Are.

(will repost this at honda-tech as well)