General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver's side low beams not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Default Driver's side low beams not working

Hello. I'm hoping someone knows about this issue and can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2003 Accord EXL, V6 VTECH, 6-spd. FYI, I'm in Canada, but the car was manufactured in the US, (no running lights, and no conversion kit installed).

Last week, the d/s low beams stopped working, both highs work fine. I finally tried to replace the bulb and ran into the problem. Here's what I know...
-not a bulb issue: replaced with correct working bulb and still no low beams (l/b)
-not a fuse issue: checked fuses, all have power
-NO power to bulb socket on l/b, but power on h/b

Clearly, I need to change something in order fix the problem, but I don't know what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

You may have lost a ground, check G201 in the picture below, it's the ground for the lighting on the drivers side.

Attached Thumbnails Driver's side low beams not working-hondaground.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a relay control module in the underhood fuse box that controls low and high beams. Circuit diagram suggests the high beam relay (part of relay control module) is likely fault. Probably have to replace the entire relay control module. See attached diagrams.

Some diagnostics necessary to confirm faulty relay control module (no voltage on high beams output wire).

good luck

Attached Files
Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by simco99
Hello. I'm hoping someone knows about this issue and can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2003 Accord EXL, V6 VTECH, 6-spd. FYI, I'm in Canada, but the car was manufactured in the US, (no running lights, and no conversion kit installed).

Last week, the d/s low beams stopped working, both highs work fine. I finally tried to replace the bulb and ran into the problem. Here's what I know...
-not a bulb issue: replaced with correct working bulb and still no low beams (l/b)
-not a fuse issue: checked fuses, all have power
-NO power to bulb socket on l/b, but power on h/b

Clearly, I need to change something in order fix the problem, but I don't know what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1. How did you verify power (+) at the fuses and the bulb socket? With a voltmeter/multi-meter?

2. With the low beam headlight switch turned on, is there power on both side of under-hood Fuse No. 1 (10A)? In addition, was the wire you checked for power (+) the Red/Yel wire?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

At the bulb socket, measure this way:

1) Voltage from the (+) wire to a body ground somewhere other than the (-) wire.
2) Continuity (or resistance) from the (-) wire to a body ground somewhere.

That identifies which side of the circuit you need to troubleshoot.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:24 AM

I got hi/lo beam backwards in my post, however problem assessment is unchanged. Likely a relay problem, but checks necessary to confirm.

An easy check is to check for power to fuses 1 & 6. Check small openings on top side of fuses. Both sides should be hot w/ low beam lights on. If no power, then relay control module fault is highly likely. Small chance of a fault in fuse panel itselt; weak fuse connection, corrosion, damage.

If power is present on fuses 1 & 6, then problem lies in wiring or connectors.

good luck

Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Tex, my diagram looks a bit different from yours, only one relay each for the high and low beams. Still could be the relay control module though. I'm still leaning toward a bad ground. But testing needs to confirm or deny that.

Attached Thumbnails Driver's side low beams not working-honda2.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Look again at wiring diagram I attached. There a separate relays for hi and lo beams, same as your diagram.

good luck

Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Correct, but he only has ONE low beam inoperative. If it was the relay, both would not work.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM

His use of plural "beams" fooled me. Not a relay then.

good luck

Quick Reply: Driver's side low beams not working