General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Help - '08 V6 AT fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Default Need Some Help - '08 V6 AT fluid Change

Good Evening;

I am new to the site and am needing to change the AT fluid on an 2008 Accord Coupe, V6, AT. I have done a search and there is some information, but I noticed it was for previous generation Honda v6, AT's. So, is the procedure the same, where you drain the tranny and refill with 3.2 qts of Honda ATF? There was some discussion about a small filter needing replaced, does this need replaced at 52,000 miles?

Any information or insights will be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Haven't found the filter on one of these, yet.

Anyway, double check the refill amount-sorry left my computer at work so I don't have the exact amount-owners manual should help with the amount and procedure.

Anyway, the drain is the same-round bolt with the 3/8 hex that you put a reg 3/8 ratchet into to remove. The fill is actually thru the fill bolt on the top-towards the back-just to the inside of the master cyl. If factory paint is still there-it will be painted blue and have "fill" stamped or in raised letters (17mm).Oh, and when you go to loosen that bolt, you will swear something is going to break...then it will but trust me it will just be the bolt coming loose....don't know why they have those so tight. I put mine back with ~20 ft lbs.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I changed the oil today and found the drain & fill bolts for the AT so, need to order some Honda ATF and get after it this weekend.

Dave

Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

My pleasure, while there ask about the refill amount-1) don't have my computer 2) It is cold outside and don't want to get the owners manual from outside-I'm lazy, sorry. My bad memory is suggesting that the refill amount is more like 4.5 qts.....and again, if like mine, you will think something is going to break when trying to get the fill bolt loose----thanks to Deserthonda for the heads up on that, but he was dead on.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Ok, changed the A/T fluid today and it was a piece of cake. Essentially, I drained the ATF into tub and measured the amount that drained out (3.2 qts,) and refilled this amount, test drove to bring it up to operating temperature and checked the level, which was within the acceptable range.

One thing I noticed was the drained fluid was a bit dark, didn't smell burnt, and there was some fine particles on the magnetic drain plug. Is this normal for a unit with 52,000 miles? I am actually thinking about draining/refilling another time or two, but am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Dave

Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

The particles on the plug are normal...small amount. As far as the color, thats hard to say without seeing it...If nothing else, piece of mind and that, another change next weekend will not hurt. By the way, what was the cost of the fluid? I changed my 95 yesterday and used the last of my Z1. I know I can call on Monday but I saw Honda Z1 at a local parts store for ~$7.99 qt.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-30-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Whether or not you do another drain/fill, you want to establish a change interval that doesn't wait for it to get as dirty in the first place. Sounds like Hondas interval (owner's manual) is probably too long.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Poorman;

Since the nearest Honda dealer is 3 hrs away and I forgot to stop by the Honda dealer when I was in a place with a dealer, I ordered it online from a dealer in California (I am not sure it I can list the name of the dealership on this forum) and the cost was $5.34 per quart for the Z1-ATF and I purchased 5 qtz. I also ordered a cab filter $12.45, they had a sale on 6 Honda filters for $29.12 and I purchased the ATF drain plug washer and 6 oil drain plug washers. So, the parts total was $70.69 and shipping was $17.43. So it is hard to determine exactly what my cost was per quart of ATF. I am probably going to use them in the future.

I do have a question: It looks like Honda is phasing out the Z1-ATF and replacing it with another updated ATF that they are using on the 2011 Honda's. One dealer website showed a bulletin from Honda that this new ATF is compatible and the recommended replacement for Z1-ATF, but is it truly ok to mix these?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I thought $7.99 was a bit high...thanks for the info...I bought a case about 1 ~1 1/2 yrs ago so I couldn't remember how much it was.

Humm, news to me on phasing out Z1. I think one or two of the other members work for (or have in the past) Honda. Maybe they can chime in.
If they are phsing out Z1 and they have the bulletin showing it is compatible...I would have to trust them...I'll try to remember to ask when I stop at the dealer to pick up another case in the next couple of weeks.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 PM

From what i have seen, the new ATF is: ATF DW-1. Here is a link with some information on it: http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785893. I just am unable to find an official statement from Honda saying this new ATF is backwards compatible, just alot of forums with people saying it is.

Dave