General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding / Scrape sound from brake area

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Default Grinding / Scrape sound from brake area

Hello, me again. Back with a completely new problem, this one I do hope i can solve quickly...

I went to change the manual trans fluid today which involved removing the front-right tire. Their was a bit of rust so I had to pull hard to remove the tire, but I did not band with a hammer or anything that would cause any damage, I just pulled, rotated 90 dereees, pulled again etc until it finally came loose.

The actual changing of the fluid went very well.

Problem is now the tire has a scrape sound which happens at a certain part of the revolution, right near the brake. Happens with the tire on of off, i can just spin the part the tire would bolt on to by hand and i can hear it. The sound seems to be the same pitch as hitting the black piece on the inside of the brake assembly (sorry i have no idea what its called), but I have tried bending it slightly and I cant get the sound to fully go away. Also as a side note the brake pads look like they are pretty much touching the silver part, but maybe that is how its supposed to look...is their a way to very slightly ajust the brake pads away from the silver part as a test, or do you think its something else?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Ok, sorry to even bother you but maybe it will help someone. I did manage to fix it in record time (lol) by taking a flathead and prying the black part (on the bottom half) away from the silver part. Thanks anyway O_o

Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

So there's a sheet-metal splash guard (#18)... is that the part that you bent out of the way?

Sorta common for that to happen for one reason or another. That thing is there to help shield the brake rotor from water splashing when you drive through a puddle.

Attached Thumbnails Grinding / Scrape sound from brake area-96-front-brake.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM

yup, thats the one. The brake disk looks pretty rusted around the circumference, but I believe that is normal. (contact point is still shiny) The shaft that goes up to the cv joint is also rusty, but I have read that its normally just surface rust. thanks for the reply.