General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

H22a swap into 94 accord ex

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 AM
Post H22a swap into 94 accord ex

I have a 94 accord ex with a f22b and I wanna swap a h22a into it because the crankshaft where the woodruf key goes from the harmonic balancer is all warped out n part of the key is broken so ima have to pull the engine out anyways but I have never Owned a honda before n don't really know to much about the swaps besides watch YouTube videos so I know I can put a h22a in their but I just don't know what I'll need

Any help would be great

Old 02-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Cryptnyt3
I have a 94 accord ex with a f22b and I wanna swap a h22a into it because the crankshaft where the woodruf key goes from the harmonic balancer is all warped out n part of the key is broken so ima have to pull the engine out anyways but I have never Owned a honda before n don't really know to much about the swaps besides watch YouTube videos so I know I can put a h22a in their but I just don't know what I'll need

Any help would be great
Can't help you with the H22 swap, but you can replace both the harmonic balancer and the key cheaper than doing an engine change.

I had to do that on my 99 Accord LX last fall, as I bought the car that way (the PO thought it needed the engine replaced). When I went to change the key, and install the new harmonic balancer, I found that the lower pulley had skipped a tooth, and that was the reason the engine wouldn't run for crap. Rest the timing, and the engine runs great. I ended up going back in and replaced the timing belts though, as I didn't know when they were last done (cheap insurance against a belt failure).
I hope this helps.
P.S. If you're still wanting to do an H22 swap, wait a bit and someone might come a long and help you out. I'd also do some searching of the forums, as you might find what you're looking for that way as well.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 02-22-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM

The person with the car before me said it was the balancer as well then when I took that bolt out they cross thread it and messed up the crankshaft n broke a good Chunk out wher3 the key goes in.....i know fixing it will be cheaper but I still wanna have a h22a

Thanks for help though

Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 PM

The person with the car before me said it was the balancer as well then when I took that bolt out they cross thread it and messed up the crankshaft n broke a good Chunk out wher3 the key goes in.....i know fixing it will be cheaper but I still wanna have a h22a

Thanks for help though
Sorry, but I didn't know the whole story.

Definitely look thru the Engine forum below this forum on the main page. The H22/H22A swap is pretty common (expensive though, so plan on dropping 2K to do it), so there should be quite a bit of info available. You could also take a look at Honda Tech.com, as there's more info there, as well on 6th gen.com (But the majority of swaps there are V6 5 and 6 speed swaps), but there are a couple of H22 swaps. Another place to look is in the Off Topic forum of this site. Look for user Live2rice, as he had already done a H22 swap into a 94-97 Accord. Keep in mind his info might be a little old in that his swap was done in the late 2000's (07 or 08). I'm really surprised none of the H22 experts have chimed in though.
I hope this helps.
P.S. If you scroll down this page a little more there's some related topics of H22 swaps.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 02-22-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM

I was going to use my income tax to do the swap and the car is for my girlfriend...we have 2 son's one who is 3 and another on the way but it's only a temporary car for her so it's basically going to be mine

Thanks for the help

Like I said before I never owned a honda so this is all new to me

Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the help

Like I said before I never owned a honda so this is all new to me

Well, I'm kind of new to Hondas (and here) myself. I bought my wife's car in November of 2014, and we've added 2 more since, with the last being the 99 I picked up in October of 2016.
I've found quite a bit of help here in the forums of this site, versus other sites, mainly because there's a very good group of people here. I've found Honda Tech to be ok, but they seem more geared to Civics, and the "Unofficial Honda Accord Forum" leaves a lot to be desired, as it seems like there's hardly any traffic there.
I've found that spending some time on here, and looking thru the different forums, along with using the search function (yes it works) might help you find answers to questions you haven't thought of yet. I only say that, as there's a ton of good info here, you just have to find what you're looking for.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM

Yeah like the car is an automatic right now but I just want sure if I could use a h22a with converting it

I'll pr9baly end up converting the car into a Manuel later but my girlfriend can't drive standard so ima have to show her

Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Yeah like the car is an automatic right now but I just want sure if I could use a h22a with converting it

I'll pr9baly end up converting the car into a Manuel later but my girlfriend can't drive standard so ima have to show her
Here's a good thread that I found just doing a quick search of the forums. He's also swapping in a manual trans.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...rd-swap-60938/
This was in the first 25 of 295 posts relating to "swaps" using the search function.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 02-22-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 PM

I was looking at that on yesterday as well....only thing is I don't have a donor car the engine am getting is from forgien engines in cour De lane id they have engine with like barley 60k on them for miles but don't have the essentials like starter alternator stuff like that.....their like 695 for f20b and 1200 for h22 id get the f20b but after doing research people are saying they never made that engine in the US and that it would be hard to find parts for that car

But I appreciate all the info your giving me

Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 AM

I was looking at that on yesterday as well....only thing is I don't have a donor car the engine am getting is from forgien engines in cour De lane id they have engine with like barley 60k on them for miles but don't have the essentials like starter alternator stuff like that.....their like 695 for f20b and 1200 for h22 id get the f20b but after doing research people are saying they never made that engine in the US and that it would be hard to find parts for that car

But I appreciate all the info your giving me
Yes, he used a donor car to help with his swap, but on page 3 of that thread, there were several additional swap links that might help you out since you're dealing with an early car (a 94). But, it's a start to help give you some info on the swap, so you can make an informed decision.