General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Default Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.

Sometimes when I stop at a stop sign, with car in neutral, and I try to shift into 1st gear it is as if it's blocked, so sometimes I have to force the stick shift into 1st gear.

I have also noticed that sometime while driving, when from first to second, I almost grind gears (usually it's doesn't require me to try and force it into 2nd) because I am not able to easily shift into 2nd gear.

I hear a what might be called a "clunk" sound when I push in the clutch pedal and I think it hear it when I shift into the low gears. Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level? Have you ever had this problem?

Also, is there a grease zerk for the base of the stick shift that needs to be greased every so many thousand miles?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like dragging clutch. This will show up the most going into R, which is not synchrmesh.

had a old old Triumph that had a dragging clutch. pulled out tranny and clutch had been contaminated with oil leaks.
I've not heard of something like this w/ modern cars though.

Think more likely cause is in hydraulic clutch mechaism: air bubble, leaking cylinder or insufficient fluid.

obvious question: have you tried pushing clutch all-the-way-down extra far?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by letsclique
Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
sounds like dragging clutch. This will show up the most going into R, which is not synchrmesh.

had a old old Triumph that had a dragging clutch. pulled out tranny and clutch had been contaminated with oil leaks.
I've not heard of something like this w/ modern cars though.

Think more likely cause is in hydraulic clutch mechaism: air bubble, leaking cylinder or insufficient fluid.

obvious question: have you tried pushing clutch all-the-way-down extra far?
I usually push clutch in almost all the way, but don't know if I have pushed it all the way down. Why?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

I hate sometimes when I try to start off from a complete stop and I will let the clutch out wrong to where I can hear it make a sound like rubber rubbing from I am guessing the clutch plate or part of the clutch whatchamacallit. I try to let the clutch slowly so I slowly and smoothly start to move without possibly waking up people (I deliver the newspaper early in the morning..ugh!). Also, when I down shift into second sometime, maybe at around 20 or so MPH, I feel something shaking. But other times when I down shift at around the same speed I noticed the speed decrease but no shaking.

Last edited by letsclique; 07-05-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
Routine maintenance-wise: I change my MT fluid every 30K miles, drain/fill no filter involved.
Do you use a turkey baster to fill the MT, or is there something else that makes it easier to fill? I think that's what it says to use in my Haynes manual.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Or a hose on the end of a funnel? Many creative ways of doing this

Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 PM

also Harbor Freight Tools sells a small hand pump for fluids (<$10) that looks like it should work well
for filling from below especially. I might get one for next time.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I hate sometimes when I try to start off from a complete stop and I will let the clutch out wrong to where I can hear it make a sound like rubber rubbing ...
find a neighborhood old guy, who has driven MT since day one, and get him to ride w/ you.
then let him drive it a few miles to include many stops.
see what he says and observe his 'clutch, shifting technique' also.
$.02

Old 06-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Default 2007 Accord hard shift solution

I had the same problem. I first adjusted the clutch petal, which resolved the issue for awhile, but it returned. I finally figured out the issue when the clutch petal bracket completely broke. It had been slowly tearing out a spot weld preventing the clutch from completely disengaging. See the attached pictures of the clutch bracket.

-------------------------------------------

Sometimes when I stop at a stop sign, with car in neutral, and I try to shift into 1st gear it is as if it's blocked, so sometimes I have to force the stick shift into 1st gear.

I have also noticed that sometime while driving, when from first to second, I almost grind gears (usually it's doesn't require me to try and force it into 2nd) because I am not able to easily shift into 2nd gear.

I hear a what might be called a "clunk" sound when I push in the clutch pedal and I think it hear it when I shift into the low gears. Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level? Have you ever had this problem?

Also, is there a grease zerk for the base of the stick shift that needs to be greased every so many thousand miles?

Attached Thumbnails Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.-accordclutch1a.jpg   Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.-accordclutch2a.jpg