General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight bulb replacement - can't turn bulb housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
sskkf
Unregistered
Default headlight bulb replacement - can't turn bulb housing

Hi All, first-time poster here. Apologies in advance if this is covered in
some FAQ I don't know about.

I have a 1995 accord with my passenger side low beam out. I purchased a 9006 replacement bulb,
disconnected the connector/wire, but can't turn the black bulb housing clockwise or counterclockwise. I saw the procedure described at
http://www.filtsai.com/accord/headlights/index.php but that car has much
more clearance for a hand to unscrew the bulb than in my car.

I had to remove the air intake (?) plastic thingamajig to get behind the right headlight, but I still have very little leverage to turn the housing. Maybe I'm having problems since I'm also starting to get carpal tunnel from too much computing.

Do i have to remove the battery or something else to get better access to the bulb? Or do I need to get someone with more wrist strength?

Thanks in advance for the help.

K

Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Default RE: headlight bulb replacement - can't turn bulb housing

It will turn, either get someone with more "wrist strength" or move the battery to get more leverage. You answered you own question....

Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 PM

are you trying to rotate the whole housing or just the bulb itself? Make sure that there isn't a little spring loaded wire holding it in vs. it being the rotating style...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM

i dont know about your year but my 92 has these plastic locking rings that hold the headlight in the housing itself, and you just turn it counterclockwise to unlock it then slide the bulb out of the housing.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
sskkf
Unregistered

Thanks all for the quick responses.

Drummer1279: im trying to turn the black plastic locking rings on the outside of the white bulb in the center. Am I supposed to be trying to turn the bulb instead? From the picture at the www.filtsai.com its hard to
tell if they are turning the inner or the outer circle.

Sir_Nasty: I didn't notice any little spring loaded wire holding it in. If there is a lock, that would explain everything. I can't see it in the picture at http://www.filtsai.com/accord/headlights/index.php. What
should I look for and what do I do to the spring loaded wire?

Thanks again

K

Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM

try to rotate the bulb itself, I don't believe the outer black ring rotates

Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM

you should just be able to turn that outer plastic ring a quarter way counterclockwise and then pull it out to release the bulb.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked at the parts catalog and the break down shows a plastic 'bulbholder' as the 92 accord has;I can't remember when they changed to the wire clip?
According to the parts break down there should be a largerplastic ring that needs to be rotated counter clockwise to allow the bulb to be removed

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/1A8969F5DCAE42BCB2E4D3F56543B6E0.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2007, 11:19 PM

thanks for finding the diagram Hondadude, I knew what I was talking about but couldnt be anymore desriptive lol.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 AM

i went through this same thing a couple weeks ago.. a few came off with ease and a few seemed to be stuck... if u look close there 3 slots near the outside edge of the ring... i VERY CAREFULLY put a flat screwdriver in the slot and hit the screwdriver with a hammer.. (softly) it kinda broke them loose and i did the same thing putting them back on just in the other direction... its alot easier that way esp on the high beams where they are a lil hard to reach... and yes i had to take out my battery. Good luck!

Quick Reply: headlight bulb replacement - can't turn bulb housing