General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater control cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:26 PM
mjrider2
Unregistered
Default heater control cable adjustment

My 1997 Accord SE heater control cable will not completely shut the heater control valve. I loosened the cable clamp and pulled the cable as far out as it will go but it still will hot push the valve far enough. Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM
mjrider2
Unregistered
Default RE: heater control cable adjustment

My 1997 Accord SE heater control cable will not completely shut the heater control valve. It pushes it almost close but just enough to keep the vent air hot when the adjuster **** is on full cold. I loosened the cable clamp and pulled the cable out as far as possible but it still will not push the cable out far enough to close the valve. Any ideas?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

disconnect the cable from the heater valve,, now under the dash, middle rt side, next to center console,, there is a plastic cover , remove it it is held on by a plastic clip, nust pop it off,, ,, the upper cable goes into a pivot arm, disconnect cable from there as well,, put heater **** all the way to hot , adjust the pivot arm to be all the way to hot, reconnect the cable into the arm, now from under the hood, make sure heater valve is all the way to hot, reconnect heater calbe there as well ..

you have checked the **** to make sure it is not cracked or broken ,,, right ??

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
mjrider2
Unregistered

Thanks, that got me to both ends of the cable now.

No manner of adjustment seems to make a difference.
The **** is newly replaced.
I removed the cable from both ends; moved the pivot arm to completely hot, made sure the valve was completely open, reconnected the cable ends and the result is the same. Moving the **** all of the way to cold leaves the valve 1/5 of the way open.
Do the pivot arms usually wear and need replacement?
The last little push to completely closed with the pivot arm seems a bit difficult too.
Can I disconnect the pivot arm from the **** and adjust the relationship between these two?

Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm trying hard to have a good flashback; I think there was a service bulletin about the gears behind the control **** jumping a tooth.
Does the control **** look like it is going all the way cold?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I know this is an old post but I am experiencing the same problem and for the love of GOD, I cannot get the valve to completely shut. I have basically taken everything apart all the way to the gears of the heater control unit. The gears don't seem to have jumped a tooth. There are two cables; one is heater valve cable and the other is air mix control cable. If I properly adjust the heater valve cable first and have the air mix control cable disconnected, I can get the valve shut by switching the heater control arm under the dash manually with my finger. However, after connecting the air mix control cable, the **** will no not be able to shut the valve completely no matter how I adjust it. It almost seems like I need the air mix control cable to be shorten by 1/8 of an inch or so. I'm starting to think the cables are stretched in some way? I dunno, so frustrating.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by krnluve24
I know this is an old post but I am experiencing the same problem and for the love of GOD, I cannot get the valve to completely shut. I have basically taken everything apart all the way to the gears of the heater control unit. The gears don't seem to have jumped a tooth. There are two cables; one is heater valve cable and the other is air mix control cable. If I properly adjust the heater valve cable first and have the air mix control cable disconnected, I can get the valve shut by switching the heater control arm under the dash manually with my finger. However, after connecting the air mix control cable, the **** will no not be able to shut the valve completely no matter how I adjust it. It almost seems like I need the air mix control cable to be shorten by 1/8 of an inch or so. I'm starting to think the cables are stretched in some way? I dunno, so frustrating.
What year Accord do you have?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
What year Accord do you have?
1995 accord v6.

I just came back from a test drive. With the best adjustment humanly possible, I was able to register 50 degrees F with the valve 1/8 from fully close. That's with AC on and a thermometer in the center vent.

Half way home, I stopped and went under the dash and close shut the valve manually by pulling the pivot arm that the air mix control cable is hooked up to. The result is 40 degrees F which is awesome.

I conclude that it is necessary for the valve to be fully shut in order to enjoy pure cold AC. I suspect the cables are stretched and I will be ordering new ones soon.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

The first attached pic. includes instructions regarding the heater valve cable adjustment. (I am just including it for informational purposes.)

The second attached pic. includes information that mid-year 95 Accords, 96, and 97 Accords came with a new non-adjustable air mix control cable. The new cable is non-adjustable. Compare your car's VIN to the info. on the pic. to see if yours had the old or new air mix cable. You may need a new cable like you said regardless.

Attached Thumbnails  heater control cable adjustment-heater-valve-cable-adjustment.jpg    heater control cable adjustment-new-air-mix-control-cable-mid-year-95-97-accords.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-16-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Omg redbull-1, thank you so much! You are a life saver!

Do you know the part # to this updated air mix control cable? I googled every possible combination of words to find this updated cable but no where talks about it. I particularly like the part where your 2nd picture said it will fully shut the valve and the flap before the **** reaches max cool hehe.

Oh and no, my cable definitely don't look like the updated nonadjustable version.

Last edited by krnluve24; 07-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: heater control cable adjustment