General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

heater fan/blower motor

Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
SM90Exi
Unregistered
Default heater fan/blower motor

Hello Guys

First time poster.

My car needs a new blower motor for the heater. I have one coming from Honda ($300) as I could not locate one aftermarket and did not want to mess with an old used one.

Can anyone give me some direction in removing the old blower and replacing it. I've located the blower behind the glove box but really don't know what to unbolt/unscrew first. Any help or diagrams are appreciated.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: heater fan/blower motor

I've replaced the blower in a 90 Accord (twice!). The blower is expensive, and aftermarkets are hard to find. I had an aftermarket fail after 6 months and had to do the job a 2nd time.

I would suggest downloading a shop manual (See Online Manuals, DIY forum).

Two big things that made the job easier for me.

1) The ECU/TCU module must be pulled out of the way. Manual says to remove, but I found that removingthe hold-down bolts and rotating the unit to vertical against the center console was out of the way. The electrical connectors are very tough to release was reason I did this.

2) Once you have released all the retaining nuts and bolts on the blower module, the module will not just drop down and come out to the rear. I found the module must be rotated 90 deg (top towards front of car), lowered and then removed.

Installation of motor in the blower module is easy, and re-installation must follow the removal path.

A flexible nut-driver extension and ratchet screwdriver are helpful to reach the far nuts retaining the module. Don't loose them!

good luck

Old 11-13-2008, 09:42 PM
SM90Exi
Unregistered
Default RE: heater fan/blower motor

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I'll download the shop manual for my car from the DIY section.

Great pointers.