General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater fan slowed and stopped

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Default Heater fan slowed and stopped

We have a 92 Accord LX 4AT, no ac, no power anything.

The heater fan is not working. Fuse is fine.

My wife was driving along with the heaterfan on full tilt boogy. She noticed it started to slow down, slowed down some more, and finally quit. The fan does not work in any of the various switch positions.

Sounds like a bad fan motor to me.

What do you think?

Is it possible to test the fan without removing the glove box?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Heater fan slowed and stopped

it may be the motor relay and not the fan itself... perhaps it though you were turning down the speed and then turned it off, typically if a motor goes bad it will make noise and suddenly sieze up, not slow down.... here's a picture of the blower motor resistor, you should be able to test it without removing the glovebox....

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/080B6D1E93964F739CB0862D177D6719.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM

I forgot to mention, that's from a 91 manual but it should be about the same.....

Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Nasty, thanks for the quick reply. The fan started slowing down even though the switch was not touched. Strange.

I notice it says "button type only" on your drawing. We don't have buttons that control the fan. We havea circular swtich which has various "detents" in it. As you rotate the switch clockwise to each detent, the fan speed increases. So, would our heater still have that resistor even though it's not a "button type" switch? If so, I cannot tell what view is being shown in that illustration, so it's not clear to me exactly where that resistor is located.

I've already removed the glove box. Where exactly will I see that resistor - underneath, to the right, left, where?

Thanks very much for he help.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Well, I've been a busy little beaver.
Name:  Fanmotor.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  74.0 KB

I hooked the fan motor directly to a fully-charged12V motorcycle battery and the motor didn't even blink.

The fan does not seem to spin as easily as it should for a fan. I don't want to be too technical, but I think it's AFU on the inside.

I can not imagine what the local Honda dealer wants for a new one - probably several hundred - so I guess I'll be looking for a salvage motor tomorrow.

The removal job is a bit different thanmy Haynes manual described. Here's where it's good to have a farmer instinct available.

I'll report how it goes with the replacement unit.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tony I would not advice to install a motor from a salvage yard, never know how long it will last ,,,,call autozone and chk the price ,they have reman motors there i have used them before with no problems ,,

Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The brushes on the blower motor are worn to the point they've tumbled in the brush holder and are binding. It's not repairable and only fix is a new or used replacement motor. Replacements are expensive for the 90-93 Accords. I think the OEM motor is over $200. Check some of the parts links on this site for replacements, ebay, or car-part.com for a used part. Used parts are getting a bit long in the tooth to be reliable, and it's a pretty good job to remove the blower as I'm sure you've found out.

good luck

Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 AM

I'll give Auto Zone a shot. How much should I expect to pay for a remanufactured unit? Is it a remanufactured Honda unit? Will it be as reliable as a new OEM?

I called a slavage yard last thing this afternoon, They want $60 for a used motor.Yes, it's life span is uncertain, so it's a gamble. If it's from a 92 wreck, how much life can I really expect from it?

I called NAPA and they have a newaftermarket replaceement for $170. (Why are these small motors so bloody expensive?) Howreliable is a newaftermarket uint going to be - as good asa Honda OEM unit that lasted 15 years in a very cold climate?

eBay has a new aftermarket motor, including fans, for about $100 after allthe dust has settled. Problem is that we live in Edmonton, Alberta and the unit is in the US. We cannot drive around for a couple of weeks during the winterwithout a heater fan while waiting for the new unit to arrive. This is a very unhealthy practice at zero F or below.

I'm a bit torn on how to proceed, but now I'm leaning toward a new or remanufactured unit fromeither NAPA or Auto Zone.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

some of ther motors that i got from autozone have been on the car for 5-6 years.. are they going to last like the new Honda motor,,?? i cannot honestly answer that question,
.compare all your options and go with the 1 that is best suited for you ..

Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I used a "rebuilt" unit for a 90 EX several years back that only lasted 1 yr. I think it was a Carboni part, but it's been a while and I'm not certain. The reason the price is high is the OEM replacement is pricey, $200+, so aftermarket set their prices accordingly. I actually managed to rebuild one of these motors (believe me it's not worth the trouble), and it only lasted 6 months. Honda OEM is probably highest quality part to insure not having to repeat the job.

good luck

Quick Reply: Heater fan slowed and stopped