General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help me on maintenance schedule...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Default Help me on maintenance schedule...

Hey all, I'm new to these threads(except for the blower issue posting) and recently misplaced my car owners manual and have questions regarding replacement schedules for certain parts. My car is a 1992 Honda Accord LX 5 spd with A/C and has 228,xxx miles and climbing. I am the third owner of the car and the last owner was my aunt/uncle and they gave me a record of what they had replaced on the car while they had it.

Timing Belt: The belt was replaced at 178,798 miles, the date of the replacement is unknown - I recently moved stuff around in my apt and I will find the records again - but I know for a fact the mileage is was replaced is correct within a few hundred miles - definitely replaced at 178,xxx which included all other related components - water pump, coolant, balancer belt, tensioner, etc. This car has sat for a few years before I purchased it with little to no use on it. Bought 3 years ago with 215,xxx miles on it. Is it time to replace it, or should I just get it done based on mileage, time sitting without use? I know the belt costs $28, water pump: $43.00 new or $30 reman, balancer belt: $20, but haven't gotten pricing for labor at my mechanic which charges $85 an hour.

Clutch - this I know there are no records of ever being replaced, but from what my friend tells me after test driving it(he took the car to the bottom of a steep hill, stopped, put into 2nd gear and it took off fine) that the clutch is good, but how do I know when it is bad? I do know that the records my uncle gave me had a recommendation made regarding clutch replacement a few years ago based on mileage, but they did not replace. I am pondering having my mechanic drop the trans to inspect the clutch, but that would be a waste of money just to have them inspect it? Should I just replace the clutch and all other components related to it based on mileage? Clutch set costs $100, but I think the clutch plate may need to be replaced or refinished along with it? Any idea what the standard labor hours are for this job is at a shop?

That's all the MAJOR work I can figure out for my car - besides other belts - that I am concerned about at the moment - comments, suggestions appreciated or mention things that need replacing - I would like to keep this car for a while since hondas run "forever" and this car purrs like a kitten and only loses about 1/2 quart between changes - mileage could be better, but hey, it's better than a truck.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Do not have the clutch inspected. You will know the clutch needs replaced. With a worn clutch, you will release the clutch pedal and the engine will rev, but the car's speed will not increase. Sort of like hitting the gas pedal in with the clutch pedal pushed down.

Timing belt interval is 90K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. So find out the date for the TB change. If the dealership did the TB change, give them a call, because they may still have that in their records. It is worth a shot. Labor is probably the most expensive part of the job, so expect 500-600 minimum for the work.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM

My uncle had the work done at a Honda Dealership in Minnesota - I live in Wisconsin. Honda has a site where you supposedly can pull up maintenance history based on VIN - I registered and entered the VIN -no records posted. Turns out, the dealer never uploaded the work into the database?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Call the dealership where the car originated. The dealership near you may have access to the records too.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by tzoromski1
... the clutch is good, but how do I know when it is bad?

My uncle had the work done at a Honda Dealership in Minnesota - I live in Wisconsin.
A. repeat your friend's test whenever in doubt, like once every second yr maybe. In between, if you step on the gas hard,
clutch fully out in second gear, and the rpms go to the moon
and the car doesn't accelerate up a hill,
then clutch is bad - used up. That's how you tell.

B. Send the Minnesota dealer a letter requesting the records for VIN #, owned by Mr. XYZ, and enclose a $5 check.
I did that, got the records and the check back.

Timing belt aside: I wouldn't sweat the timing belt when-to-change details too much, cuz the recommendations
are conservative. And you're only 35K miles into this timing belt.

I have owned a '93 and now a '92. Both MT's. ... well designed cars.
Son now has the '93 @ 242,000, just about 90,000 on the timing belt.
He's not made of money, so hasn't worried about the belt and it's working fine.
You oughta just drive yours.

Last edited by UhOh; 10-06-2012 at 04:02 AM.