General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Replaced 1990 Honda Accord TCU Now Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Not sure of your codes. Here is a good video on pulling codes.
Thanks. However, I've already viewed that video. I tried with a paper clip but could keep a stable/consistent connection. When holiday is done I'll try to track down a female clip like he used.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Just wanted you to recheck the TCU codes. The way the CEL flashes in the video is the same way the led on the TCU flashes. Also check the LED flashes on the ECU.

I think both the ECU and TCU have a LED on your accord.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hooray! We finally got the car started and working!

I'm not sure exactly how we got it to start, but we got it to start and it's been working for two days now. Here's my guess as to what I think got it working:

I think what happened was I needed to do pull a second ECU fuse which reset the ECU. I had already checked and pulled the ECU fuse located under the hood, on the passenger side of the car. But, I didn't know there was another/second ECU fuse located inside the car on the driver side (it's to the left of the brake, on the side the car). While I was pulling the codes as suggested in a recent post, I discovered the fuse and pulled it. After doing that (I also pulled all the other fuses as well), the car started.

I figure it must be the ECU fuse (and not the others I pulled) because that's all that makes.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.

For any others who may run into this problem and want more details... read on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a little more detail behind what I did that (I think) led to the car working.

When I was pulling the codes as suggested, nothing happened. The "S" light stopped flashing, but the check engine light was NOT flashing to give me any codes. I believe short circuit connection to the connector you use to the check the codes was secure and stable. So I wasn't sure why I wasn't seeing any codes being reported (I was using a 10 gauge copper wire instead of a paper clip because I couldn't get the paper click to stay and make a stable connection).

After trying several times I was left scratching my head because I couldn't figure out why I wasn't receiving any codes. So then, I tried/did something stupid which I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do. While I was pulling the codes, I tried to start the car and everything went dead! All the dashboard lights went dead, the car would no longer turnover, and when I turned the key absolutely nothing would happen. No electricity was flowing at all. I guess I wasn't supposed to do that. =)

I figured... oops... I must have blown a fuse somewhere. So I began pulling and checking all the "loose" fuses (didn't do the ones screwed in) including the ones in the fuse box located inside the car. While I was doing that is when I noticed the other ECU fuse.

When I was done I decided to try starting the car again. I thought... hmm... maybe the other ECU fuse was the one I needed to pull.

And ... voila! The car started and has been starting and working ever since (we tried a number of times over the last few days).

Again, I'm not sure exactly what did it, but I think it was resetting the ECU by pulling the ECU fuses.

Interestingly enough, I never did find a blown fuse. So I'm not sure why everything went dead when I tried starting the car when I was short circuiting the connection to pull the codes. But oh well... =D It works!

Thanks again everyone.