General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help!!!!!!!speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

If it's any indication, my 2 Civics are LX & EX. They have a slightly different cluster, becasue the EX has a couple extra functions like outside temperature. But I'm not really aware of differences like that in 1995... ?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM

hmmm....on eBay they act like they are interchangeable. But then again if you think about it, LX is non-VTEC and EX is VTEC in a 95....... maybe there is a difference in the cluster?

Now is when we need a Honda tech to give us some insight..........

Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

new development the speedometer works 1 of out every 10 times i drive the car and when it does work it doesnt start to read til im at like 20mph than its start to read from 0 n up exp when im doin 45 the speedometer says 25 what could be causing this

Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

a bad speedometer. Mine would get stuck at 20 mph. Its a somewhat common problem. Just search the forums.

The cluster can be taken apart and you can just swap speedometers. If you want to swap clusters, make sure that the donor is for an automatic if your accord is an automatic. Manual transmissions have some of the indicators blacked out.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

car-part.com usually shows which vehicles are donors to your car. You can also use to search for a unit near your zip code.

good luck

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 PM

I have a similar problem. My 94s speedo works off and on and I get the D4 flashing, and the Cruise control does not work. So all these indicate a bad VSS, right?
I have seen a few drawings of where the VSS is located, and they are different. Can someone show me a pic of a 5th gen engine bay with the VSS pointed out.

THanks,
Jason

Old 06-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

The vss is circled in yellow. The viewpoint of the picture would be from where the passenger sits in the car.

It will be below the distributor or the throttle body.

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-30-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok I had the same problem. Speedometer was stuck at 20 miles an hour (19 to be exact) no cruise. Actually it was working about 1 in every 10 times. Followed this forum and easily switched out the VSS. Same problem still exists. Exact same symptoms and it still works randomly.

I took it down to the dearlership to have an SRS light checked and they told me I needed a new Speedometer Assembly. So should I do the same as everyone is now suggesting. purchase a new cluster and switch it out.

BenJoe

Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

The speedometer can be repaired or replaced.

I pulled my cluster out and removed the speedometer. Shipped it to a company that fixed it. It cost me ~$120. The nice thing was that I didn't have to worry about the difference in mileage between the two.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
88-89-08-Accord
Unregistered
Default Vss

I have the exact same problem on my 98 Accord. Initially it worked on and off. Then it would only work when I picked up speed but even if I am on the freeway it only registers about 20-40mph. If you pay the money at Autozone's alldata website they will give you step by step instructions on how to fix the problem. I did this. First step was something like connect voltmeter to VSS and raise car on jax stand then- turn right wheel by hand and see if the VSS generates a current. If it doesn't then it is you need to replace your VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The instructions go on from there. Because I was too lame to find someone to turn my wheel while I was watching the voltmeter I just purchased a new VSS and installed it myself. This was more of a pain then I expected because it was hard to get at. Anyway that did not fix the problem. I figured the problem HAD to be my speed cluster then. So I pulled one out of another wrecked honda (by the way the milage comes with the speed cluster. So if you pull one from a care with 140,000 miles your car will now have 140,000 miles). Anyway this did not fix the problem. The other major things it can are the speedo gear in the transmission, the cars computer or the wiring. My car is a 5 speed stick so it has a speedo gear. I am so accustomed to driving without the speedometer that I have not gotten around to investigating the issue more. My only major problems are that the Check engine light will not go off. Even if you erase the codes it pops back on in like 2 miles. Also the Cruise Control obviously will not work on my car. I had to talk the smog guy into passing my car for me. It will not pass with a CEL on regardless if everything else is OK.

Last edited by 88-89-08-Accord; 07-05-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: help!!!!!!!speedometer not working