General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help- what does this code mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
mussashimits
Unregistered
Default Help- what does this code mean?

Hello,
I've been having this problem with my car for over a year. In the summer, when the weather is hot, I go to start my car, and the S light is blinking (not a certain number of times, just constant blinking). Then it doesn't want to start when I turn the key. This problem also sometimes occurs when the engine itself is hot.
What I find odd is that this occurs when the weather is hot- not when the engine is hot. I've actually already replaced my IC ignition unit recently, but the problem persists. I then tried checking the code by jumping that blue cable under the glovebox, and the blinking was as follows:
1 short
2 shorts
3 shorts
7 shorts
8 shorts
1 long
3 shorts.
Then when it starts over, the very last set of blinks is 4 instead of 3.

I still haven't found out what the code means, and that's what I'm trying to do through this post. Also, I took out the TCM unit and looked it over (I heard a faulty TCM could cause this problem) but it looks fine.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.
Thanks very much

Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Help- what does this code mean?

Please Put In your Year, Make and Model of Car and it's engine size or you more that likely wont get an answer from anyone:.
Put all that info into your signature panel in your profile...
Welcome to the Forums...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-09-2007, 08:12 PM
mussashimits
Unregistered

I'm sorry, I forgot to do that. All I know is that it's a 91 Honda Accord.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest resetting the ECU and TCU by pulling the BackUp fuse for 20 secs. There is no code 2 in my 90 or 94 Accordmanuals. Also w/ the service check connector shorted, any trans codes (indicated by flashing S light) are read on the S light, not the Check Engine Light.

If your codes were S-light flashes, then multiple codes related to the lock-up clutch and lock-up solenoids are present. They could be related to a bad speed sensor.

Is the Check Engine Light On also? Have you checked for any ECU codes? A bad speed sensor sets code 17. If speedometer does not work when this problem occurs, the vehicle speed sensor seems likely.

good luck

Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 PM
mussashimits
Unregistered

Thanks for the help. The check engine light is not on. I'm not sure what ECU codes are, but I have just been checking the "S" light. It seems like recently I had replaced the speed sensor as well.

Do you happen to have a link that would tell me how to locate the backup fuse?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to download a shop manual. Check DIY section for a download of a manual.

The BackUp fuse is no. 24 fuse in 90 Accord manual and in Lower LH position.

Make sure all your transmission electrical connections are clean and secure w/ no wiring damage.

If no speedometer problems, the VSS is probably not your problem.

good luck

Old 06-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Take it to an autozone or similar place where they can check and read the codes for you for free. That way you get the code # and description.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Autozone only scans cars with OBDII (96 - present Accords).

Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 PM

All you got to do is go to our DIY section ,, obd codes, read up on your year car ,chk the codes again,,and post them here .

Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Autozone only scans cars with OBDII (96 - present Accords).
Ah, didn't catch the 91 part.

Quick Reply: Help- what does this code mean?