General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hitachi D4T94-03 Distributor parts and breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Default Hitachi D4T94-03 Distributor parts and breakdown

Greetings all!

I hope to rebuild the Hitachi Distributor D4T94-03 in my 1997 Honda Accord EX VTEC, 4dr sedan w/4sp auto and 49 states emission. The complete distro no longer available from Honda. The main body is available as HOUSING--DISTRIBUTOR; Part Number 30105-P0H-A01. The ball bearing, cam position sensor and brass bushing/sleeve bearing all appear to be in decent condition. The ball bearing should be $10.00 or less. It seems reasonable to rebuild the unit while I have the distro off the engine.

I have some questions concerning the disassembly of the unit:

Is the cam position sensor (coil) available as a separate part? Has anyone replaced the ball bearing (upper bearing) on the shaft assembly? Does anyone know how to remove the vane on the end of the shaft? This part is unpainted and mine has a brown rusted appearance. The rotor attaches to the end of this piece. It is difficult to tell if the vane is pressed on the end of the shaft or if it is screwed on. Is the entire shaft assembly (shaft, ball bearing and vane assembly) available as a replacement part/unit? Is the brass/bronze bushing, on the lower end of the distributor housing, available? The part does not appear to have any significant wear. It might be worth replacing while the distro is being rebuilt.

I have searched for a parts breakdown for this distributor. I have not been able to find one showing the individual components in the "lower end" of the distro. It seems that very few items, these days, are designed to be repaired/rebuilt. This is a total waste. The part that is replaced, instead of being rebuilt, is sent as scrap to a third world country to be recycled and then made into cheaply made junk. Please excuse my drifting off point. My Dad taught me to rebuild or repair everything possible.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Sincerely,

Last edited by bsdubois; 11-26-2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Following video explains most of your questions.

I replaced bearing and seal some time back, but was dissappointed to find that oil leak continued.

To my knowledge, the distributor internal sensors are not available as OEM parts. There may be some aftermarket parts.

good luck

Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM

TexasHonda, I replaced the internal seal and the "O" ring and so far so good. I also replaced both in the 96 Civic. I noticed one of the ball bearings seemed to have a few rough spots. I am certain I will be able to find the bearing at Tri-State Bearing in Evansville, IN. My main issues are how to remove the magnet/vane assembly that triggers the coil. I will be able to easily replace the bearing once the trigger magnet is removed. It seems reasonable to replace the cam position sensor coil and the brass bushing at the same time. It appears that I might have to bight the bullet and spend about $200.00 for the distributor base at the dealer. The aftermarket distributors I have found are made in China and they cost nearly as much as the Honda part.

Thank you for your kind reply. I suppose that I am attempting to do the impossible.

Sincerely,

Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Another option is fining a used distributor at a junkyard or u-pull-it yard. The distributors on your car were not prone to failure like the early 90s accords.