General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1987 Lx - Fails to start in mornings on rare occasions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Default Honda Accord 1987 Lx - Fails to start in mornings on rare occasions

Hello,

I just bought this Accord at the beginnig of my summer and I could not enjoy my first car any more! The worry some problem is that in the mornings, maybe once a week if not two weeks, the car fails to start. Then through out that very day after that hard start up it has flawless, buttery smooth and successful starts ups like any other normal day.

I am thinking that the battery is the problem because it happens always in the mornings and this is only happens for the first time in the day. Now I am not EXACTLY sure but I found it happening more frequently when I haven't used the car in a day or more than 12 hours. Am I right on this thinking that the battery is an issue?

Thanks,

Honda Enthusiast

Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

What is happening when it is not starting? Does the starter spin the engine? Do you hear only one click when you go to start?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response,

The engine goes on for two seconds, then sputters off. I try it again with in mere seconds and it starts smoothly.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still confused by your response.

When you turn the key the start the car, the starter will spin the engine until it fires. That is when you release the key.

Is the starter only spinning your engine for 2 seconds, or is it firing up for ~2 seconds?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If “then sputters off” means you hear a sessions of clicks or it cranks slow checking the recharging system and battery would be a good start.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Hello,

Sorry for not being specific. I will try to explain in detail what happens.

I put key in. I turn over key, the motor is I believe trying to go on for a short moment, is probably spinning as you say because the engine isn't on at all, then goes off all in 5 seconds accompanied with a "whirring" sputtering sound and if I remember correclty a strong yet quiet crank sound. I turn the car again, just maybe 2 seconds, and flawless and smooth startup.

So I should check the battery and start up then? Btw, I have a very modern CD player in the car that turns on instantly as the car goes on... Could this be the problem as the Honda battery can only handle so much?

Also, thank you guys for your responses. I really appreciate your guys help!

P.S. : Happened today again to me this morning. I haven't used the car for about 15 hours. This probably happens after a long duration of inactivity with the car!

Last edited by Honda Enthusiast; 08-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Does the sound/speed of the starter sound different when it does not start vs when it does? If not I would have someone/store test the battery, you can test is yourself with a volt meter but you will only see the voltage. You need to have a load test done on it as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM

It doesn't sound different at all. It is just when it has a bad start, sounds exactly same, but just fails to start and never makes that climax loud engine sound signifying it is on like it always does and instead shakes, rumbles and sputters etc..

Ok I'll get the battery tested by a shop... Thanks! Also, if it is the battery acting up the whole time, should I buy a new battery altogether from a place like Walmart OR should I get it *specially charged* at a mechanic shop for a cheaper cost?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would suggest a few things. I would have someone crank the motor while you look at the pulleys turning and compare that to when it does start normally as far as speed, and if it is cranking at all. Your description could be a bad bendix in the starter or I do not understand your post. If you decide to replace the battery I would research batteries and let that place install it. I have read good things about Autozones and Sears batteries.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 PM

I am really sorry if I didn't make my self any more clear! There is no clicking sounds, and there is no cranking sounds now that I think of it. As I previously said, it just fails to turn on, I could hear the engine trying to turn on though but rumbles off.

Anyways, I will take a look at sears battery! Thank you! Hopefully this is the long term fix.

P.S.: Wouldn't the battery indicator indicate that my car battery is not up to performance level? Or can we have bad batteries without the battery indicator notifying us?

Last edited by Honda Enthusiast; 08-08-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1987 Lx - Fails to start in mornings on rare occasions