General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

honda accord 2000 se alarm/security issue

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM

i have downloaded a manual from the internet(spooner website) which gives a chapter by chapter indepth view of the electrical system. Analog electronics is just not my thing...there is a table which gives some combinations of things to do and I actually did that and went through the fuse panels on the driver/passenger side and all the fuses are OK.

I will go through the diagrams and try to locate the horn relay and report progress.

thank you for your lightning responses, it is sincerely appreciated

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM

correction: the lights do flash when the alarm goes off...I just stepped out to check the car and I could see the lights flashing and alarm blaring. Bythe time I stepped out to unlock the car, the car had stopped sounding the alarm and when I got to the drivers door, could see that the LED was blinking at the normal pace(roughly 1 per sec) ... which I gather the system has reset and is armed now.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Default hi PAHonda, question

I have a suspicion that its the hood latch...i had called american honda ownerlink and they gave me a sequence to try, when alarm is blaring away, insert master key into the driver door, turn left, turn right, turn left and bring to middle and remove. The alarm stopped blaring and i was able to use the keyless remote for a couple of days ie until yesterday

i took the car to the dealership for a timing belt service and came back home in the evening...it rained last night...i dont know if it was the hood that was opened and shut which confused my car or rain/winds, it went off at 430AM this morning. I came out side, inserted the key and followed the sequence, the car was quiet until afternoon...when i took the car to an isolated parking lot and started to mess with the doors/hood/trunk to see which one is respobsible. It appears the hood is a major contributor.

To troubleshoot this, I generously sprayed wd-40, yet there is stilll lot of gunk...is it possible to remove the hood latch and clean it, is it complicated? Is it possible to remove the hood pin switch and short it...maybe, this will help fix my issue...please let me know.

I took out the cell in the keyless remote and using the key since this afternoon to get in and out of the car, I will write back if there is any progress.

One last question, does the blinking of the LED(number of times) on the driver window panel have any important information to convey?

It blinks 8 times rapidly
pauses
blinks every 2 seconds

kindly write and help please
thank you

Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how to help you. That manual that you downloaded covers UK accords, so I don't know if the american accord has different wiring.

Do you have the owner's manual for the alarm system? The alarm does come with one.

I suspect that you will have to figure out the problem by a process of elimination. You will have to see if the hood switch sets the alarm if it is open or closed? Just unplug the electrical connector, and see if the alarm immediately activates. If it does not, then leave it unplugged and see if the problem goes away.

Copy and paste this link in your browser. It looks like the control unit has a sensitivity adjustment that you can try.

handa-accessories.com/accord/accordsecurity.pdf

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM

I had similar problem with my Accord. It was a hood latch little switch completely desintegrated. The switch is riveted to the latch, so you need to buy new latch as it is not available separately.
I just disconnected it and had no problem since then.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM

PAHonda, Thanks for your reply...the manual has instrcutions for both Right hand drive and left hand drive and was correct wrt under box fuse/under driver fuse diagrams too...

Question for you and Cadreck is, how do you unplug the connector...I cannot reach with my fingers and am not sure if a screwdriver will help?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

My 95 didn't have a switch on the latch, so I haven't done this.

Most electrical connectors have a tab you have to push, then you can disconnect the switch. You may be able to do this with two screwdrivers.

If not, you will have to remove the latch. Clean up the latch before you do this, and mark the latch where it bolts, because the latch position can be adjusted. That info should be in that manual that you downloaded.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Default my bad

This is such an old thread and I completely forgot to come back and udpate.

Yes, i took the car to a local mechanic and had the security system connection to the hood latch removed. peace. so much peace that I totally forgot!