General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord LXI 1989 - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...my 89 is the same "red".

Anyway, yes the ICM could be the issue....is the tach moving when you try to start the car?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 PM

That is true. I have many good distributors with good igniters on hand salvaged from replacing people's engines. We would rather use a lower mileage good factory ignitor than put a cheap aftermarket one in. Over other note is that on both my 86 and 89 I eventually had to replace the key cylinder switch as they were giving me intermittent starting issues.

I would recommend finding a salvage yard that has a lower mileage car and grab the ignitor if it is still there. If the ignitor is NEC or Hitachi then it is a Honda part... Note that they will be shaped different, but they are almost universal regarding of the Honda. I.E. Accord, Civic, Ludes, etc. And are almost universal regardless of internal or external coil. I just checked my electrical drawer and I have a hand full of good used ones.

Better spending money and time for a Honda new or used one IMO, even if it takes a little time in a salvage yard.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The tach was not moving when I tried to start the car. I did replace the ignition switch last year.

I put another after market ICM in and got the car started. It ran great until hot, then it started to miss again. I took it to an independent mechanic and it got to the point that it would not start again. They diagnosed the problem as the ICM and pick up coil. They will be installing a new genuine Honda ICM and an after market pick up coil (this part is no longer available). We should have it back next Monday or Tuesday.

I really didn't want to take it in, but my daughter needs the transportation and I felt that I was coming to a dead end. After 3 years, many new parts and countless hours, we will be selling this original survivor. Thank you all for your help.