General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda batteries any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Default Honda batteries any good?

Junior is about to move out and take the Accord. I'm thinking of replacing the battery so he's off to a good start. He's going where the winters are quite a bit colder. Anyway, I noticed the local Honda dealer has a 100 month Honda battery for $80 on sale through the end of the month. Napa has an 84 month battery on sale for a little over $100. I've had good experience with Napa batteries and my experience with OEM batteries (Toyota and Ford) have not been as good. Ford batteries don't seem to get too far beyond 4 years and my Toyota batteries have gone 21 months and 5.5 years. I bought the Accord used so the battery is aftermarket.

What has your experience been with Honda batteries?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

There are like 3 major battery manufacturers for the U.S. market; Johnson Controls (who previously acquired Delphi's battery business in 2005), East Penn, and Exide. Their batteries are often sold under various other names.

The Honda batteries should be made by Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls make good batteries. However, each manufacturer still offer different spec. batteries.

For the most part, the Honda batteries are good.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by basket_case
... the local Honda dealer has a 100 month Honda battery for $80 on sale through the end of the month.
Napa has an 84 month battery on sale for a little over $100. I've had good experience with Napa batteries and ...
Always go with your own experience, batteries or whatever;
that's what life is all about, learning from your own experiences.
... and a $20 difference, so what. Spend $20 and celebrate
what you have learned in life.

Cheers!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM

My last Walmart battery in my Accord lasted 8 years.
When it was time to replace, I bought another Walmart battery.
Experience as stated ^

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM

I am a big fan of Interstate batteries. Good quality, good price.

If you are in a bind financially, you can also ask for their "econo power" batteries. They are good batteries that are just a little old, and are sold really cheaply.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM

If you don't need yet I would suggest waiting for a 50 off 100 coupon for Advance Auto and buying a battery there. There prices are usually slightly high but you can get a battery usually for $50 or $60 with coupon. Or if your lucky enough to stumble on a Autozone coupon for $20 off $80 purchase. Honda doesnt make batteries like someone else said they are Johnson Controls for the most part. Warranties are pro-rated so if you bring it back after 5 years and say its junk your not getting much for it. I usually replace my batteries every 4-5 years when its -30F and I'm trying to start my car I dont want to deal with a stinkin old battery.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
Always go with your own experience, batteries or whatever;
that's what life is all about, learning from your own experiences.
... and a $20 difference, so what. Spend $20 and celebrate
what you have learned in life.

Cheers!
Well, I went with Napa only to discover that they no longer offer the 84 month battery. Now, it's 75 month. Since I had the battery out and I was already at Napa, I just went with their battery. The Honda dealer was farther away and I was burning too much daylight already.

Things changed in the time since I bought my last battery. I saw it first with Schuck's (now O'Reilly's) when they stopped offering the higher-capacity batteries. And now Napa with lower capacity and shorter life. Seems like the trend is to keep the price the same and lower the quality of the product. Race to the bottom, as they say.

Maybe next time I'll get the Honda battery (if it's on sale), take the $20 I saved and buy a bottle of bourbon to celebrate.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:18 PM

When I was shopping for one lately Advance Autocraft batteries seemed to have the most CCA, so I went with that. Working fine so far. Previous battery was an Autozone Duralast Gold, and it lasted just long enough to make the warranty worthless.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Administrator

I buy whatever I see that I can afford at the time..which usually is a good choice and it makes my CAR Happy..

Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

IMHO, it all goes back to what RB posted in post #2. There are only three "players" when it comes to batteries.

Then what the "'seller" wants for spec's.

Quick Reply: Honda batteries any good?