General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hoping it's the transmission solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Default Hoping it's the transmission solenoids

I have codes P0700 and P0780 on my 2000 LX 4 cyl AT that has 200k miles on it with its original transmission. Three times in the last two months the transmission is sluggish and the D4 light blinks. It's usually been sitting in very cold weather for a while when it decides to do this. After driving it for a while the problem goes away. ATF still red, no burnt smell, and fluid level ok. The 780 code points to three possible solenoids being the issue, then internal problems if it's not one of them.

Using the test procedure for the solenoids I found on Scribd http://www.scribd.com/doc/19721454/Test here's what I found.

The torque converter clutch solenoid appears to be ok. It was well within the Ohm range, the screens were pristine, and the solenoids clicked when electric was applied.

The clutch pressure control solenoids visually looked ok and seemed to respond appropriately when I applied the eletrric to them but the resistance was 15 and 14 Ohms respectively for the A and B valves. This is a significant variance from the 3 to 10 listed in the test procedure.

Now for my question. Is it possible the extra resistance is causing my issues? Perhaps with the very cold weather the added resistance is just enough to cause this intermittent problem. I'm hoping this is the case as it's $50 for the new solenoids versus thousands for a tranny.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

The 98-02 transmissions were known to die an early death, so you are lucky to get to 200K.

I would change the fluid in the car using Honda ATF. Do the drain/refill procedure.

I hate throwing parts at the car. Those solenoids did test out of range, so I would repeat the test. I would replace if they are still out of range, and you are ok with possibly wasting $50.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM

PAhonda, I'd rather "waste" $50 bucks than throw in the towel and just go for another tranny. If I do end up going for a tranny the $50 will be nothing anyway.

I posted my note for two reasons. One, I was hoping somebody could tell me the solenoids are probably the issue. Second, I wanted to post the testing procedure as I thought it may be helpful to others.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't trying to question you. Those solenoids may fix the problem.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Smile advice please!

Hi, i have a 98 honda accord v6 AT, it sticks, and slips bigtime, prolly gonna end up getting a new tranny, but i want a sport tuned tranny, don't know if it exists, would really appreciate some input.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Hi, did you determine if the solenoid resolved the issue? I am having similar codes and symptoms.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by crazydad
PAhonda, I'd rather "waste" $50 bucks than throw in the towel and just go for another tranny. If I do end up going for a tranny the $50 will be nothing anyway.

I posted my note for two reasons. One, I was hoping somebody could tell me the solenoids are probably the issue. Second, I wanted to post the testing procedure as I thought it may be helpful to others.