General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower gain with auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Default Horsepower gain with auto transmission

I've been poking around the forum the past few days and trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. A few days ago I didn't know that there was such as thing as wheel horsepower and that automatic transmissions had less wheel horsepower than manual. I also didn't know that manual transmissions could handle increases in horsepower better than automatic (I didn't even know I had to worry about my transmission if I increased my car's horsepower).

I have a 2009 Accord Coupe EX-L 3.5L V6 with an automatic transmission. Is my transmission different than a 4 cylinder engine accord? Will I decrease the life of my transmission with any horsepower increase, or does it have to be significant?

I've had my car a little over 3 years now, and I'm toying with the idea of getting a new exhaust (mainly for better sound). From what I've read, I won't get much more horsepower out of it. Would it be enough to worry if I have an automatic transmission? Will I get much more life out of my car if I keep it stock?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Things like intake, exhaust, headers don't really add much horsepower. So they won't put any more strain on the transmission. Its mainly huge power adders like nitrous and turbos that put a lot more stress on the transmission.

The life of the car will be the same with the exhaust. As long as you don't drive it differently because you want to hear the exhaust :-)

Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM

So you're saying my car won't last long? j/k :P

That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Auto transmissions normally have more loss, when you compare HP at the crank vs HP at the wheels. As far as I know for Hondas it's the same engine.

Since 1998 Honda automatics have gotten a reputation for being fragile. Probably fixed starting 2003, but you're welcome to be skeptical about that.