General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Default transmission

I have two transmission questions for you guys.

A friend of mine has a 97 accord four cylinder and for the past few weeks none of his shift position lights have been coming on(i.e.P,D4). This morning he started his car and they started coming on again along with his check engine light. On top of that it started shifting really smooth all of a sudden. He's thinking he needs to hurry up and get a new transmission before the thing craps out. Is there any kind of sensor that may be going that he should check first?

Second question, I have an 02 V6 and had the transmission replaced about ten thousand miles ago. Yesterday, I was driving around town and after sitting at a stop light it seemed like my car didn't want to leave neutral. It actually prompted me to look down at my shifter to make sure I hadn't accidentally pushed it into neutral. I tried the accelerator a little harder and it felt kinda like on a manual when you barely let the clutch out and get on the accelerator. After probably thirty yards it grabbed second and went completely back to normal. Its never done it before and it hasn't done it since although I've only been in the car for about ten miles since then. I've been told that this can happen sometimes when you're first shifting into drive if you don't let it get settled in, but its very strange for it happen randomly like that. What can cause this? I've got another twenty-five thousand miles before my warranty expires so if this something I need to worry about, I'd like to get early.

Thanks
-r

Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

On the 97, stop by an autozone and have them read the code that caused the check engine light to come on. That will dictate the next steps in diagnosing the problem.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 AM

The only issue there is that the car no longer throwing the check engine light. Do the ECU's log the errors or will he have to wait for it to throw again before he can even see it?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

It should be stored, until you disconnect the battery or pull fuses to reset the ECU.