General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to 2003 V6 Brake fluid change!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
2003 V6
Unregistered
Default How to 2003 V6 Brake fluid change!!

Hi guys...

I'm going to change brake fluid.
I had a experience but I never have a experience about ABS equipped one.

Would you pleae let me know the procedure from A to Z?

I will really appreciate it!!

Thanks..

Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How to 2003 V6 Brake fluid change!!

Pretty sure you dont even need to change it. Your car is 2yrs old. Brake fluid is like one of the last fluids you should ever have to change. If you do change it, take it to the dealer, even though I'm sure they'll even try and talk you out of it.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 PM

It should be changed every three years and I pay the dealer to mess with it. Sorry, no instructions.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Every 2 years. I've already changed it on my 2003 & gotta do it AGAIN pretty soon.

If you know how to bleed brakes, then your ABS car is no different. First suck out the fluid from the reservoir with a syringe or turkey baster or something like that (if you steal it from the kitchen, don't put it back - buy a new one). Fill it with fresh fluid.

For 1998 - 2006 Accord 4-cylinder,bleed the brakes in this order...
LF - RF - RR - LR.

Bleed enough fluid so it comes out very new & clear at each wheel. Don't stop when the air bubbles are gone. But make sure you don't let the reservoir go empty.

I don't have a V-6, so I don't know if that needs a different order, but I bet for 2003+ it's the same.

Older Accords have a separate fluid reservoir for the ABS so there's a different procedure for you other guys...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake
First suck out the fluid from the reservoir with a syringe or turkey baster or something like that (if you steal it from the kitchen, don't put it back - buy a new one).
LOL that would make an interesting thanksgiving!

JimBake gave you good advice above. I have nothing to add.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 AM

I've always read/been told to start bleeding from the farthest possible from the brake master cylinder.
That would actually have you do it as:
RR - LR - RF - LF

I'm not advising this by any means, but I've had cars that were 20+ yrs old and I know the brake fluid had never been flushed on them before. Still worked like a champ.

The concept is that the glycol in the fluid starts absorbing H20, water, and thus lowers the boiling point of the dot brake fluid. Because of this, the more you use your brakes (say in traffic or whatnot) your fluid boils causing small air-bubbles to form when the H20 is evaporated in the line... THIS --- is what causes your brakes to need to be bled. If you find yourself bleeding OFTEN, then it's a good sign you need to flush the fluid...

I think I might flush my brake fluid soon now that you mention it, I know it's never been done on this car.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I've written this so many times now, I should put in FAQ or DIY or something...

Old-school (1950s & 60s) you bleed from the farthest to the closest. RR - LR - RF - LF

Late 60s began dual-diagonal brake circuits, so you bleed EACH CIRCUIT starting with the rear. RR - LF - LR - RF

With ABS hte bleeding orderdepends the plumbing details. It's all about which line is more likely to push air bubbles into which other line. So it could be anything. If you don't have any specific instructions, the diagonal is probably the best guess.

Based on Helm manuals that I've personally owned, 1998 - 2006 Accord 4-cyl should be bled LF - RF - RR - LR.

I never had a V-6 book, but for 1998-2002 theengine-compartment layout is completely backwards, so I wouldn't be surprised if the V-6 does a different order. I just don't know.

Finally... If you do the wrong order, I think the only badthing is you may have to go around a couple times before all the air bubbles work out.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I've written this so many times now, I should put in FAQ or DIY or something...
there already is a write up on this ( How to bleed brakes ) in our DIY section ,, If more members would look in there before asking questions,,, it would save a lot of space and time ..

And also i wanted to prove myself a point, I have done it both ways ..., it does not make any difference if you bleed the brakes OLD school or NEW school. as long as you remove the air from the system and when the fluid comes out it is clear .. either way is fine ..

pedal was nice and hard ..

Old 05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

...If moreMODERATORS would look in there beforeANSWERING questions,,, it would save a lot of space and time ..
There, Ifixed it for ya...

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

And also i wanted to prove myself a point, I have done it both ways ..., it does not make any difference...
Cool, that supports what I thought that the only bad thing is possibly having to go around again. I bledour '98 Accord the wrong way before I bought the Helm book & it was all good.