General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Default How to adjust idle speed

I am having a problem with a very low idle. It is about 500 or less RPM, the manual lists it at 770 +- 50. I went through the steps in the book, and when I disconnect the EACV, the car dies. It will run if you hold the gas pedal a little bit and not let it fall too far. The book says that it should idle at 620 +- 50 when this is disconnected.

Problem is, the idle adjusting screw that is shown on the far left of the throttle body is not there, just some kind of caulk... Should I adjust the one where the throttle cable attaches or I am missing something??

Old 08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How to adjust idle speed

ORIGINAL: fireballer44

I am having a problem with a very low idle. It is about 500 or less RPM, the manual lists it at 770 +- 50. I went through the steps in the book, and when I disconnect the EACV, the car dies. It will run if you hold the gas pedal a little bit and not let it fall too far. The book says that it should idle at 620 +- 50 when this is disconnected.

Problem is, the idle adjusting screw that is shown on the far left of the throttle body is not there, just some kind of caulk... Should I adjust the one where the throttle cable attaches or I am missing something??
do not adjust it from the cable

there is an adjustment screw at the top of throttle body, sometimes people cover it with hondabond or other stuff to make sure that it will not back out ,, have you tried scraping the caulk and see if screw is under that ???
also when you find it, remove it totally, get some carb cleaner and clean the screw and where it goes in, after you adjust the idle apply some honda bond behind the screw to keep it from backing out

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=THROTTLE+BODY

# 1 is that adjust screw

Old 08-26-2006, 04:57 PM

Cool, I haven't adjusted anything else yet. I figure since it won't idle at all with the EACV gone it definitely needs adjustment. I just didn't want to pull all that caulk stuff out, it looked like it was put there at the factory and I sure didn't want a hole in the throttle body or something....

Also, about the Hondabond stuff.....I am assuming I can get that at Honda?? Looks like cool stuff, I just gotta find where I can get it.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM

Thanks, worked great. I think it may have been a factor to my battery problem as well. The spec sheet (specific to my alternator) lists a turn on speed at 525RPM. Yesterday I noticed that when I was stopped, the A/C and electronics seemed to be running slower (as in on the battery)....when I would gas it just a LITTLE, it would speed up immediately, like I had turned on a switch. The idle was between 450-500 before, now it is up to spec.