General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the plastic cage around fuel/brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Default How do I remove the plastic cage around fuel/brake lines?

Hey All,
I am helping a friend with his 1999 Accord (v6) and we need to repair leaking brake lines.

We've found where the holes are, but the black plastic cage around the lines is giving us trouble. We are having difficulty getting it off and I want to try to minimize breaking plastic-clips that we may have to get back in place.

Any sugguestions on removing this black plastic cage... the piece I'm talking about is here:
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

listed as pieces 32 and 33.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Try to PM "Adler"...I know he just replaced some lines (fuel and brake) in the same area. I'm guessing there are four "clips" holding it in..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Try to PM "Adler"...I know he just replaced some lines (fuel and brake) in the same area. I'm guessing there are four "clips" holding it in..
I got em off yesterday, lots of prying and breaking them.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Ah, the plastic cage thingie... we go way back.

I broke most of the clips when I did it. In theory when things aren't corroded as all hell, the cage should drop after you remove the metal strips (they are supposed to slide out). In reality, everything is frozen solid.

EDIT: After examining the link you posted, I'm not sure its fastened the same on your model. Disregard anything that makes no sense.

Last edited by Adler; 02-20-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Didn't work the same way. Couldn't get the bolts off the metal sliders so instead i just bent them out of the way. Only bad side is that i have to get new ones now.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Default plastic rails holding brake and gas lines

How did you get the rail off? My rails has strange clips. the clips look like plastic bolts. I want to remove this rail with out damaging them. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by stucamp; 09-19-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Did you ever figure out how to get the cage off without totally destroying it? How "should" they come off?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Danny T
Did you ever figure out how to get the cage off without totally destroying it? How "should" they come off?
Good question. I need to get mine off, as I blew a brake line earlier this week. I know mine is rusty too. I figure I'll probably have to break it off due to the rust. I figure I'll be replacing all of the lines under it too, since I know if I start flexing the rust on 1 line, the others will start to leak.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM

Hey poorman212. Just visiting honda forums and recognized your MC cover. Semper Fi fellow Marine. From 'nother Marine Vet. USMC 87-92, Desert Storm. Stay True. E

Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Good question. I need to get mine off, as I blew a brake line earlier this week. I know mine is rusty too. I figure I'll probably have to break it off due to the rust. I figure I'll be replacing all of the lines under it too, since I know if I start flexing the rust on 1 line, the others will start to leak.
I found out someone was in there before me, and broke the "nuts" that hold it on. These "nuts" are basically a plastic tube that "threads" on to the threaded stud attached to the floor pan. When I reassembled it, I shot some self tapping stainless steel screws in to hold the track in place. Been good so far.
I think dealing with that track cover thing was the worst part of the whole job.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the plastic cage around fuel/brake lines?