General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought 99 v6 coupe and car cuts off in traffic, Help...

Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 PM
bobs99coupe
Unregistered
Default Just bought 99 v6 coupe and car cuts off in traffic, Help...

Hey, im new here, just bought a 99 coupe v6 EXand it runs great but enginecuts off spontaneously during low rpm driving, and usually cranks back after a few trys. Seller says the car was sitting a while. has about 140,000 miles, and i got a deal for only $3,000. I willchange oil,air filter, and spark plugs tomorrow. The car had a remote start installed and it does not come with the remote, so im thinking this could be the problem with it cutting off (bad wiring, maybe), i don't know.No dask lights areon except the maint req light. Any othersuggestions guys, thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Default RE: Just bought 99 v6 coupe and car cuts off in traffic, Help...

Wow! 3000? Really good deal or maybe there is a reason it was only 3,000. Welcome to the forum!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

See if you can duplicate the problem by wiggling the key. I don't know why that would only happen when driving slow, but flaky ignition switches are not too rare.

Heavy keychain?

Check with a dealer about a recall campaign for the ignition switch. With your VIN any dealer should be able to tell you whether it applies to your car, & whether it's already been done.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 PM
bobs99coupe
Unregistered

Yeah, guess im lucky, the car runs a drives great, extremely quiet (hard to tell if it is still running). No accidents, jus that the previous owner lowered the car 2" off the ground by heating the springs now i have to find more stock springs for it. Any suggestings on the cutting off situation though, i own an Acura legend also that cut off on me and would not crank back and i thought it was the fuel pump but was the main fuel pump relay. I know nothing abouth the 6 gen accords. Please help

Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

The system with the main fuel relay is just like your Acura. Butthat usually(?) won't stall you once the engine is running. Bad main relays normally just prevent starting when the interior of the car is really hot.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ignition switch recall been done?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM
bobs99coupe
Unregistered

Yes, called dealer and they said ignition recall was done already.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just FYI, there's a few other people posting this problem recently, might be good to do a little bit of searching in the meantime.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM

when it stalls/cuts out does it sputter like it all of the sudden lost fuel or does it just turn off and coast like the spark got cut?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM

most likely it's the ign. switch again. i've done repeat electrical portion of the ign. switch on recall cars several times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought 99 v6 coupe and car cuts off in traffic, Help...