General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How long will the CV Joints last??

Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Default How long will the CV Joints last??

my cv joints are spittin out grease left n right all over my front rims in my 97 accord coupe. i know their cracked but how long will it be till it starts clickin? anyway to tell? i know im better off replacin the axles for 600 bucks. kinda pricey tho

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Default RE: How long will the CV Joints last??

I don't know where you are buying axles from, but they don't cost $600. You should be able to pick up a brand new axle from AutoZone for about $100 with a lifetime warranty. You could replace the boot for $20 and it should be ok.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 PM

$600 was the honda dealership price quote. yeah i should shop around.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:42 PM

Axles aren't that hard to change, $600 is way too much. I could change the axle for under $100, but i do my own work.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

As adviced DO NOT buy the axle from Dealership............go to Autozone. buy an axle and if you feel like you want to replace it,, there is a write up on HOW TO , on the top sticky,, If you don't want to bother, ,,, get on the phone and get an estimate how much a shop would charge to replace an axle,, and you providing the parts,,,,
it cannot be more than 100 dollars,,,,,,,

Now on the other side,, since there is still no noise,, you can get a boot kit 10-15 dollars and just replace the cv boot ,, kit should come with boot, 2 bands and grease..
Or call a shop and ask how much they charge to replace the OUTER CV BOOT...

My advice,, if you do not hear any noise from the axle , just replace the boot..,, We replace dozen and dozen of just cv boots per year down here in the desert ...

Old 05-12-2006, 12:56 AM

Ha ha, desert, thats funny that you say that about a dealership, i work at one and ive seen many people buy axles from other places coming in because they dont last. granted thats not every single person who buys one from a local parts store. You are 100% right though, if its not clicking replace the boot and it will be fine, dont waste the money on a whole axle. Working at a dealership i see alot of a differernt perspective of things than the adverage joe. given that i get discounts on everything just about cost and i know the markups of dealerships, but thats where they make the money. they have to, because they provide a better part than those yahoos makin that crap by the bulk and shippin it out and hoping it sells.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:17 AM

if you work at a dealership and you are in Madison you must be working at ZIMBRICK HONDA .. ehy is Milt Sprecker still around ??

and my friend don't talk to me about dealerships i know all the ins and outs..
I worked at dealerships for 16 years and have owned my place for 10 years,, i install non factory parts some times because of the ridiculous price the dealer wants for some of its parts.. example... axles,, radiators,

and as for marking the price way up,, it is not just that they make a better part ,but to pay from those yahoos that walk around with ties , to the person that answers the phone, to the cashier. to the guy that puts seat cover and mats, to the guy that gives customer a ride, to the guys you never see around ....The techs are the ones that bust their butts and when they start to make good money,, management does not like that , so they find ways to control how many flat rate hrs they can flag,..

Old 05-12-2006, 01:19 AM

Dealers don't give lifetime warranties on axles, AutoZone does.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Isn't there a grease or somekind of oil that can be applied to any of the rubber bushings, rubber boots, rubber anythings under neath the car that tends to harden and crack over time, that promotes elasticity?

Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM

if you do your own oil changes,, when car is up in the air, you can spray them with wd-40,, or use any kind of other oil or grease you like ............do not use silicone ,, it dry very fast..

I DO NOT know of any special cv boot grease tp be applied externally..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long will the CV Joints last??