General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to maintaine a 2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 with 98,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 AM
espn2829
Unregistered
Default How to maintaine a 2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 with 98,000 miles

Tell me how to go about taking care of this car. What to look out for and how to drive it. So far I'm loving this car.

I also have a question, when I turn my key all the usual lights come up, like ARS, brakes and maintenance required etc. If the car actually needs something to be fixed, does the maintenance required light stay on after you start the car? Usually, it goes away when I start the car.

Yes, these are bizarre questions, but I am asking you guys since you know more about these things than I.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How to maintaine a 2001 Honda Accord EX V-6 with 98,000 miles

every day when you fire it up let it warm up. as many times as possible just let it idle in the driveway until you see the temp guage start to move.

when you put it into gear......wait for the tranmission to engage, then proceed.

never turn the wheel unless your moving, and never turn the wheel hard over (all the way over).

as soon as you know that you will need to slow down, start to do it. dont wait until you get to the red light to start slowing down.

change the oil often....every 3500 miles with at least valvoline.

have all the fluids and filters changed at least every 30000 miles. and that includes transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant. also the air filter and the fuel filter. so if you havent had them changed yet....do it now.

every 3 months make sure that your battery is full. the level should be 1/2 inch from the top. if it isnt, fill it with distilled water.

open it up every damn day. let the vtec engage at least once every day so you know exactly what a vtec honda is all about. your vtec will engage at about 4500 rpm

Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

o yea and change out your timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, and hoses

Old 04-15-2006, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

every day when you fire it up let it warm up. as many times as possible just let it idle in the driveway until you see the temp guage start to move.
I'm sorry but that is exactly wrong. I was taught the same thing which might have been practical for carbed engines of yesteryear. It takes longer to warm an engine by idling it than by driving it. Also, you are getting zero miles per gallon. We're finding out that the things we grew up with like idling an engine to warm it up and 3000 mile oil changes are dead wrong for todays fuel injected cars and vastly improved oil.

Idling is needed on cold winter days to ensure that all of the vehicle's parts are warm. True or false?
TRUE: Sorry, the answer is "false." Many parts of the vehicle – including the wheel bearings, tires and suspension system – will warm up only when the vehicle is moving. You need to idle no more than 30 seconds to get the oil circulating through the engine.