General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How many water hoses to replace in a '96 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Default How many water hoses to replace in a '96 Accord?

I need to flush my radiator and replace the hoses in my '96 Accord 4 cylinder. How many small hoses do I need to find to replace? I don't want to miss any, and if you can tell me exactly where they are, that sure will help me to get on my way toward cleaning this thing out.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Why do you need to replace all of the hoses?
That seems rather unusual to me.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM

I replaced the radiator hoses and radiator about 5 years ago, so I really need to replace them, but why not replace the other hoses? I don't want one of them to pop and then lose all my antifreeze. I had a little hose pop on me years ago when I was driving a GTI in North Carolina, and I had to work on that doggone thing in a dress shirt and tie on the side of the road. Don't want that happening again.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I recently did this on my 02, its got the F23, if your's is the F22 which I'm thinking it is, it's probably very similar. I'll list the ones I had to do anyway, and I hope it helps.

Upper and lower rad hoses, which is obvious.

There are your upper and lower heater hoses. There should be a coolant pipe, I think it's called the water pump outlet pipe, that runs from the water pump alongside the back of the engine under the intake up to the thermostat housing. One of the heater hoses runs off this pipe, along the back of the intake and into the heater core. The other hose you can see fairly easily and runs from the side of the head over to the heater core.

The IAC valve water hoses, the valve is mounted to the back of the intake and has one long ish hose running down to the afformentioned coolant pipe, and the other runs around the side to the throttle body.

There is a second hose on the throttle body. It runs to that pair of steel pipes sort of suspended in the engine bay with one pipe running from the air breather hose to the valve cover. The other end of that pipe goes back into the thermostat housing.

I hope that explination helps, there are only six hoses in total, at least on my engine. I can see yours being very similar. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Be very easy and careful removing the heater hoses from the firewall side. Two hoses connect to heater core and they will stick on the nipple. If you rough-house off and damage the heater core nipple, you will have to go in and replace the heater core ( big job!). Best way to remove the old hose is to split the hose w/ a sharp razor blade tool.

good luck

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

TexasHonda, I forgot to add that part. The little hoses are often very diffucult to remove as well. I always cut old hoses that are not to be re-used just to save on the bending and prying. Aluminum heater cores as well as small coolant outlets are far too easy to ruin, IMO

Old 04-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

I would only replace hoses that you find are leaking or damaged.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Default EXTREMELY Helpful

Thanks to you guys so much! These posts are extremely helpful.

I really appreciate your help very much - next week my Daddy and I start restoring a 1967 Dodge Dart that my Great Aunt left Daddy (86,593 original miles on that slant six), so once we get it running I'm going to try to tackle the Honda work (because then I'll have another car to drive if the Honda's down).