General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New pre-owned car driving problems

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Default New pre-owned car driving problems

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2006 Acura TL (automatic with sports shift) with 118K miles from a dealership. The car looks and drives great, but I have noticed a few problems as I took it for a 700 mile drive past weekend. I know this is a honda accord forum, but Acura is a honda product and this forum has provided very reliable guidance to me over the past 3-4 years.

1. Hard acceleration: The car has 3.2 litter engine but when I start and accelerate the car from 0 on, I feel that the car drags somewhat. Something you would feel if the handbrake was partially engaged. I know that the brake was not on and after driving for over 2-3 hours also, the rims were cold. If the calipers were sticking, which happened in my previous car, the rims would get so hot. The only thing is the rims get dirty…. and I think that most of the dirt is brakedust. But overall, the car does not drive very freely as it should for such big engine.

2. A couple of days after this long drive, we loaded the trunk with suitcases filled with clothes and books… of course not for testing the performance. But with such load and 4 people in the car, it was driving a little harder than without any load. The one thing that was very noticeable and bothered me too much is that there is this constant humming dull noise that is proportional to the speed and sounded like it was coming because something was catching on one or more of the wheels.

3. Power Steering: The power steering is stiffer than normal…. It opens up more when driving at higher speeds (>40 mph or so). I have driven cars where you can turn the car at 20 mph or so with one hand without even grabbing the wheel… just the palm is enough.

The car was purchased from a dealer. He claims that they did 120 point checkup on the car…. All the fluids were topped or replaced.. and oil changed…

I would really appreciate your expert inputs on these problems.

Thanks

- 2006 Acura TL (Automatic Trans. with 118K miles)

Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Nobody?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Also, when I bought the car, if I shift from Park to Drive and let off the brake but do not press the accelerator, the car would just stay still. It would not move. But now, it has started moving..... not too fast but still moves. I believe it is normal that the car should move when shifted to Drive even without accelerator, right?
Now that my car has started doing this, which it was not doing before, what does it mean? Does it mean that it is freeing up more?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM

can someone please reply?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be worried about two things....again this is a reach.

Lazy O2 sensors can be a pain....be sure one or more brake calipers are not sticking....what was the MPG on the trip?

If you want me to go way out on a limb, many PCU have a learning feature....are you sure it is trying to learn how you drive vs the PO?...again...on a twig.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Thank you for the reply, but I am not sure I understand the response clearly. What do you mean by, "are you sure it is trying to learn how you drive vs the PO?...again...on a twig."

The MPG on the highway was about 26-27.