General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How so I fix speedometer?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question How so I fix speedometer?

Hello I am new to this forum and in hope I can get some help. I just got a 1993 Honda Accord EX coup automatic. However the Speedometer is not working properly, also the check engine light is on and cruse control does not work. Are all these linked together?

Any ideas on how to fix these issues?

Thanks

Last edited by Steadyone; 09-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Did these still use a cable in 1993? Does the odometer still work? If it has a cable, I'm guessing the cable broke. Check all the fuses if its an electric unit. Next step is to swap out the entire dash unit.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Steadyone
Hello I am new to this forum and in hope I can get some help. I just got a 1993 Honda Accord EX coup automatic. However the Speedometer is not working properly, also the check engine light is on and cruse control does not work. Are all these linked together?

Any ideas on how to fix these issues?

Thanks
They all may be linked together if it is due to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). There is a 2 pin blue Service Check Connector located at the passenger side kick panel. Use a wire or small paper clip to jump the connector and count the flashing dash indicator lights to retrieve the trouble code(s). There can be short and/or long flashes between pauses, refer to the "Common DIY and other info." sticky in this forum section for more info.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM

VSS sensors can be had on Ebay less than $10 bucks also.
Most stores charge about 70.00.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My speedometer was acting erratic in my 97 Accord. I found a Honda VSS on Ebay shipped for about 10 bucks. On my year it was located on the passenger side on the back side/top of the engine block, not too difficult to get to. Unplugged the connector, removed 2 bolts and replaced the pin/sensor, re installed and now there are no issues.

Might be worth looking into for your model year.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey all I went to a junk yard and got one in great condition we will see if it works. Can this also cause the engine sometimes to not turn over?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, the VSS would not cause the engine to not turn over.

You should retrieve the trouble code(s) to confirm it is the VSS and/or see if there are trouble codes related to other items.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see how the VSS can cause a non-start condition. After all, you normally start the engine when the car is not moving (so there's no signal from the VSS).

Are you talking about the starter not spinning the engine? (That's "turning over")
Are you talking about the starter works but the engine won't fire?
Are you talking about the engine fires momentarily but won't stay running?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay I replaced the senor pin and it did not do a thing. The old sensor looked fine. Please explain step by steep how to get the code to what is wrong with the car? Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Just an FYI, years ago I had a 94 Accord and the speedometer and cruise control did not work, although I don't recall getting engine codes. I replaced the VSS and still had the same problem. I ended up removing the speedometer cluster assembly from the dash and replacing with a used one and everything worked ok then.

Good luck though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How so I fix speedometer?