General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HOW TO,,,,, Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default HOW TO,,,,, Valve Adjustment

first off,,If the directions i give are too easy for some of you , please understand that not everyone that visits this forum has the same knowledge, thus i give instructions as for Noobies,,

there should be a sticker under the hood with valve lash specs,,but just in case it is missing

Valve lash specs.

86-89,, intake .006 mm exh .011 mm
90 ..., intake ..10 mm exh .012 mm

Vavles should be adjusted when engine is cold ,

Parts you need ,,, valve cover gasket and (upper spark plug seals, 90 and newer), honda bond.

Tools you need ,, flat tip screwdriver, 10 and 12 mm wrench, 10, 17, 19 mm sockets, short + long extensions, rachet.
feeler gauges.

There are 2 kind of feeler gauges you can get,, regular and go-no-go gauges..,To adjust with the regular gauges,you need to feel a slight drag when sliding the feeler gauge .
The go-no-go gauge ( is the 1 i use by the way ) it is easier and faster,, it has 2 settings, a thinner and a thicker,

, lets say you want to adjust a valve last at .010 mm , you would use the go-no-go gauge .009-.011.. using this, the gauge should slide loose on the first set but not go over the second thicker set.. thus you do not need to have the proper drag feel..

Now we should be ready to go to work..

Remove the valve cover, install the long extension and the proper socket in the crank bolt so you can rotate the engine ,
on 86 to 93 ,remove the rubber plug below the top radiator hose, look inside the inspection hole , turn till the white mark on the flywheel ( flexplate) line up with the little metal pin on the block, on 94 and newer , turn till the white mark on the crank pulley lines up with the notch on the lower timing belt cover,,,chk to make sure the cam pulley up mark is on the up position and that the 2 notches on the cam pulley are even with the head... If so you are on # 1 top dead center..

Intake valves are the ones on the bak of the engine, exhaust valve in front..
depends on which feeler gauge you are using follow the prior instructions/,

loosen the adjusting screw lock nut, slide the feeler gauge between the adjusting screw and top of valve, adjust the lash accordingly,,tighten the lock nut... recheck the lash because at times when tightening the lock nut the adjuster screw will turn inward thus making the lash too tight.... so as a good rule of thumb, always recheck the valve lash after lock nut has been tightened ..

Once you are done at # 1 , rotate the cranck counterclock, the up mark should face toward exh valves, 1 notch on the cam pullry should be 90 degree with the head , if so,, you are on cylinder # 3 ,, adjust it , just like you did # 1 ..once done,, again rotate crankshaft counterclock, till the up mark faces down and both notches on cam pulley are lined up with the head,,,if so you are at cylinder # 4 ,, adjust it, rotate same direction again till up mark faces rear of engine ( intake valves ) cam notch on pulley at 90 degree,, you are at # 2 cylinder,,

Once all the cylinder have been adjusted, make sure all the lock nuts are tight, you do not want to forget one loose and have it come off ,,

install new seals, put a slight film of honda bond on the upper plug seals where it will meet the head and on the curved part of the valve cover gasket,, put all together ,,

My friend you are done ..

As for the H22 adjustment ,, it is the same principal,,

valve lash is

intake ...004 mm exh .006 mm
and you slide the feeler gauge under the cam lobe .

Also when you do the H22 and loosen or tighten the lock nut be careful , it could pop the rocker arm out of place,,

Hope this helps some of you,,, if futher questions on the subject ,, feel free to ask..

Old 04-15-2006, 04:43 AM
misterpoop
Unregistered
Default RE: HOW TO,,,,, Valve Adjustment

Thanks for the info Desert. I'm a noob, but I'll give this a shot within the next few weeks once I get some free time. How long do you think this would take a noob??

~tylito

Old 04-15-2006, 05:15 AM

If you don't use HondaBond on the spark plug holes, will it leak? I know that on my mom's accord there is oil in one of the spark plug holes. I changed all the gaskets and the leak was still there. I thought that valve cover might be cracked, but i didn't use any Honda Bond on the gasket.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 AM

excellent post

Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

If you don't use HondaBond on the spark plug holes, will it leak? I know that on my mom's accord there is oil in one of the spark plug holes. I changed all the gaskets and the leak was still there. I thought that valve cover might be cracked, but i didn't use any Honda Bond on the gasket.

if there is oil in plug holes . you need to replace the seals..... there is a step by step instruction ...

http://www.ozaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28

Old 04-15-2006, 02:03 PM

The thing is that i already change all the gaskets for the spark plug holes. You are talking about the circle shaped gaskets that go right over the spark plug hole right? I changed them, but i didn't use any honda bond.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

The thing is that i already change all the gaskets for the spark plug holes. You are talking about the circle shaped gaskets that go right over the spark plug hole right? I changed them, but i didn't use any honda bond.
if you changed the top sprk plug seals, and you still get oil in the tubes,, you might have to replace the lower spark plug seals...

Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
davec
Unregistered

Hi, I have a '96 2.2 V Tec. Is the valve adjustment proceedure different on V Tec engines ? Cheers Dave

Old 08-18-2006, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

Vavles should be adjusted when engine is cold ,

Just to note: Cold equals 100 degrees F or less.

ORIGINAL: deserthond

Also when you do the H22 and loosen or tighten the lock nut be careful , it could pop the rocker arm out of place,,
And be sure not to overtighten em, i've seen a couple techs bend valves that way on those prelude engines.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: davec

Hi, I have a '96 2.2 V Tec. Is the valve adjustment proceedure different on V Tec engines ? Cheers Dave
Nope, no difference.

Quick Reply: HOW TO,,,,, Valve Adjustment