General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

crank(weird) no start,have fuel & spark

Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up crank(weird) no start,have fuel & spark

Hello, noob to this forum, glad to have found it. I am a member of other forums but this is car specific so here I am. Car is 96 ex special ed and am my wits end. Searched already and after 15 pages only one mention of weird sounding crank. Here's the nuts and bolts of my problem: got the car tranny shot=replaced=go no issues.then changed t belt and balancer belt months ago=good to go ran fine recently drive car into my garage to change upper control arm, park it and proceed to change it. done at the same time buy a new battery and install it. time comes for me to move it out of the garage-try to start it cranking sounds abnormal (not strong and engaging but like a whirling of gear) new starter=same, check for fuel(disconnected fuel line, key on=plenty fuel) took spark plug wire off head and put spark plug on it= have spark. I have a helms but for a 97 accord and my 96 is completely different as far as component location. checked neutral safe switch as per manual=good. Not sure where the starter cut-out relay is or how to remove or test it, suspecting my ignition switch but not sure. '
Even though I am getting fuel would my main relay cause it not to start or crank properly? Also all my ground and power connections appear tight, checked all my fuses (side panel underdash and the underhood and they checked out with my multimeter.
Again all I did was replace the passenger side upper control arm(Yes the plugs to the underhood fuse box are tight underneath it) and a new battery(tried the old battery afterwards with same cranking result)
I am about to throw in the towel and send it to the dealership but the sucker is 50 miles away and don't have that much cash.
Any help is appreciated and I love my hondas.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have a confusing post. Does the engine crank when you try to start it? Is it cranking too fast, if so check to see if the cam is turning when you crank the motor.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM

this may sound weird, but try turning your motor over by hand about half a turn then try to start it... kinda sounds like maybe your flywheel teeth are worn in that one spot... i may be completely wrong, but worth a shot...

Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the responses, it just does not sound like its cranking normal. Yes the cam turn hence I have spark, and I tried turning the motor over by hand and then tried starting with the same result and it turns like it should (suspected motor had seized) I believe it sounds like when you have a ground missing when it cranks, I suspect a relay but not sure

Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When I turned it, i went a couple of revolutions with it will try the 1/2 turn with it tomorrow, thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If I am reading it right it is cranking slower than normal. If so I would pull the coil wire to see if it cranks at the normal speed.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tuabuelo
... cranking sounds abnormal (not strong and engaging but like a whirling of gear)...
Unfortunately, this description sounds like a timing belt problem. Sounds like the engine has no compression.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Timing belt problem has been in the back of my mind also and am in denial of it since I just installed a new one, would I still get spark if so?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

If the timing belt is completely broken then the camshaft would not turn = NO SPARK.

If the timing belt skipped a couple teeth (or 20-25 teeth) then the camshaft would still turn & you'd still get spark.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

thanks for the insight will go there (t belt )next in the coming weeks, thanks to all for your contributions and this forum is great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank(weird) no start,have fuel & spark