General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i got my tranny rebiuld and still downshifts and shifts hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Default i got my tranny rebiuld and still downshifts and shifts hard

Well i got my tranny rebiuld and i got the car today after 5 days at the shop, i noticed that it still downshifts and low speeds and it still shifts hard, were you can feel it,the mechanic told me that it can be the throttle line that runs to the tranny, that needs to be adjusted?does the tranny have mounts? that can cause the jerking, it also jerks hard from park to drive, he also said that the sensor ontop of the throttle body is bad. any advise? is this normal with honda's? 1994 lx auto thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Default RE: i got my tranny rebiuld and still downshifts and shifts hard

anyone know?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

We would have no way of knowing what was done inside the trans by the 'rebuilder'.
the accumulator 'O' ring could be leaking, there could be a sticking shift valve, maybe incorrect spacing in the clutch pack.maybe the throttle cable to trans pressure lever needs adjusted,[that pressure lever cable adjustment is part of the job]and if the TPS or MAP sensor is bad the Trans Control Unit will act stupid, because it can only guess the real engine load.
You can't open up a Honda trans and just replace clutches and steels, the shift valves are very closely[.001"] fitted in the bores of the valve body, they have to be perfectly cleaned by working them back and forth with clean trans fluid until they move as smooth as silk.
The clutch paks HAVE to have new shim rings from the dealer to ensure proper spacing.
The accumulator bodies should be replaced, or at least all the soft parts.
WhenI was doing that type of work people told meI was way out of line charging $1200 parts and labor.I would spend 2 full days inside the trans and another full day doing the R&R; Partscost almost $800
But the people that paid me never had to pay for the job twice, nor bring the trans back

Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 PM

well he told me the gears were fine, he did replaced the orings and the filter, rebiuld the TC, and showed me that the o ring didnt have more teeth and it should of leaked but it didnt, so im guessing the hard shifting and the downshift were i can feel it, on d4 is were it feels the worst.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:25 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: hondadude

We would have no way of knowing what was done inside the trans by the 'rebuilder'.
the accumulator 'O' ring could be leaking, there could be a sticking shift valve, maybe incorrect spacing in the clutch pack.maybe the throttle cable to trans pressure lever needs adjusted,[that pressure lever cable adjustment is part of the job]and if the TPS or MAP sensor is bad the Trans Control Unit will act stupid, because it can only guess the real engine load.
You can't open up a Honda trans and just replace clutches and steels, the shift valves are very closely[.001"] fitted in the bores of the valve body, they have to be perfectly cleaned by working them back and forth with clean trans fluid until they move as smooth as silk.
The clutch paks HAVE to have new shim rings from the dealer to ensure proper spacing.
WhenI was doing that type of work people told meI was way out of line charging $1200 parts and labor.I would spend 2 full days inside the trans and another full day doing the R&R; Partscost almost $800
But the people that paid me never had to pay for the job twice, nor bring the trans back
You must actually care about what you are doing.

I would never pay to get my tranny rebuilt. I always think they are band aids that will last another 40k miles for a stupid high price.

Glad to see someone actually does quality work and cares about the customer.
I give you a [sm=smiley20.gif]!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

ORIGINAL: hondadude

So if your tranny died, what would you do?

You must actually care about what you are doing.

I would never pay to get my tranny rebuilt. I always think they are band aids that will last another 40k miles for a stupid high price.

Glad to see someone actually does quality work and cares about the customer.
I give you a [sm=smiley20.gif]!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Get a new one.
If the tranny costs more than the car get a new car.

I think in todays world engines are fine. The only component that always worries me if the tranny. Its not cheap, and makes your car useless when it is not working

We had a voyager and got the tranny rebuilt and that was crap.
I know quite a few people who get transmission rebuilt and they go bad not long after.