General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I searched, but to no avail - ecu question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Default I searched, but to no avail - ecu question.

Yeah, I know, I know, everyone has a question about the damn ecu. I was just curious as to how you know your ecu reset. After adding my exhaust system I pulled the back-up fuse (7.5) for a min or two with the key off. Then, i started her up and let her idle for about 10 mins. And so my question: Is there any signal, i.e. flashing light, dukes of hazzard horn tone, anything that indicates that the ecu did in fact reset and relearn. I'm sure that having some fancy peice of equipment would tell me but I do not work in a garage and have no access to it. Do I want to go to auto zone? No. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: I searched, but to no avail - ecu question.

Ummm....disconnect the battery. Usually, just unscrew the negative terminal. Resetting the ECU is like wiping the memory of someone so it thinks it came with all your aftermarket parts. Trickery and deception are a tuner's best friend...when battling the ECU.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: theBrewMeister

Yeah, I know, I know, everyone has a question about the damn ecu. I was just curious as to how you know your ecu reset. After adding my exhaust system I pulled the back-up fuse (7.5) for a min or two with the key off. Then, i started her up and let her idle for about 10 mins. And so my question: Is there any signal, i.e. flashing light, dukes of hazzard horn tone, anything that indicates that the ecu did in fact reset and relearn. I'm sure that having some fancy peice of equipment would tell me but I do not work in a garage and have no access to it. Do I want to go to auto zone? No. Thanks!
Your ECU reset procedure will work also. There is no feedback mechanism in the car to indicate an ECU reset other the the Check Engine Light. If it was On, it will be off when you reset. You could test for codes and determine that no codes are present, but you already know that when CEL is off.

BTW, what was nature of your repair? New catalytic converter, O2 sensor to repair a trouble code?

Good Luck

Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

You should be good to go, Brew. Thats the same method I used on mine, and I have a 94 LX also. I reset after I cleaned out my EGR ports, and it reset the CEL.

By the way, love your avatar. Its even funnier to me, because I have a Honda, and my wife has a Nissan Maxima lol.