General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]

I was driving home from work last night when I noticed the CEL came on and stayed on. I pulled over and checked the oil level and antifreeze, and all fluid levels were OK. My car just passed Virginia emmissions last month. I read the code today and it came out P1456: manifacturer auxilliary emissions controls ( I think). Does anyone know what this code is pointing to? Does replacing the gas cap fix this issue?

Thanks for any comments and thanks in advance for your time,
-Mott

2002 Accord EX-L 5 speed 139K miles

Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]

That IS the code you would get if your gas cap was loose. Actually the code says:
"EVAP system leak - fuel tank system"

Which really means that something on your gas tank is not airtight like it should be. The most likely culprit would be a loose gas cap. Other possibilities would include...
- Gas cap gasket is bad so it leaks even when tight
- Leak in the fuel filler pipe or that group of hoses
- Fuel pump mounting flange gasket is leaking
- A leak in any of a dozen rubber hoses & stuff around the tank or in the engine compartment
- An actual leak near the top of the gas tank
- - (a leak near the bottom would make a puddle of gas on the ground)
- A bad fuel-tank pressure sensor because that's how the ECU measures fuel tank leakage...

Clear the code (pull fuse #13 in the right-side end of the dashboard) & wait to see if it comes back.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]

I had that a couple years ago. Tried a new gas cap. Nothing. After reading a lot (googled P1456 Accord), the most common fix was the cannister vent shut valve, about $50 online. It's not a bad fix, but you have to take the cannister off - looks like a small shoe box under the floorpan ahead of the driver's rear wheel. The only pita about it was the two screws that hold the shut valve to the cannister were rusted in place. They screw into threaded inserts in the cannister so there's not much you can do if the screws won't come out, other than drill them out and re-tap the holes.

When my CEL came on it too was right after passing emissions, and since the car ran fine I waited almost 2 years to fix it. It has nothing to do w/ anything except some stupid and meaningless emissions laws. I religiously check my mileage on every tank, and this 'problem' never affected it at all.

Remember that if you don't clear the CEL somehow like disconnecting the battery, even if you fixed the problem it takes a few drive cycles to clear itself.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM

I have a 99 Honda accord v6 3.0, Honda code P1456 which is the fuel tank pressure sensor it says. I know what it looks like. But can someone please tell me where it's located? And is it easy to moderate to do without taking to a shop?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I have to repeat - P1456 is not the "fuel tank pressure sensor". That's an error code for the whole system. The fuel tank pressure sensor is only one part of that system, out of a dozen or more things that can possibly cause that code.

The procedure for testing and determining what's wrong with that system is several pages in the shop manual for the 4-cyl car. I expect it's virtually identical for the V6 car, but I'm not sure.

The most common reason for P1456 is a loose gas cap (or bad gasket/seal). From there it goes down to several vacuum hoses under the car, a couple solenoid valves, or that pressure sensor. Or any of the wiring that controls it all. It might be a leaking gasket where the fuel pump is installed in the tank, or even a crack in the fuel tank itself.

Basically, that code says that your fuel tank isn't airtight like it should be. Or(!) the sensor that measures it isn't working properly.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]

The fuel tank pressure sensor is #36 in this drawing. The canister is under the car, ahead of the left-rear wheel, and a bit inboard.

But check for any of the vacuum hoses to be cracked & leaking. And check for wiring issues with the sensor and the solenoid valves.

Attached Thumbnails  Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]-1999-v6-fuel-pipes.gif  
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM

I have replaced the gas cap. Cleared the code, yet the same code reappears many times. As P1456 so would i be right to assume it is the fuel tank pressure sensor? Since that what its telling me.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Thank you all, for the much needed information. Its been vary helpful.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

P1456 is for any air-leak in the fuel tank and/or the system involved in measuring the pressure in the fuel tank. So I don't think the "pressure sensor" message means anything. Someone creates a small line of text associated with that error number, and more often than not it's nowhere near enough detail to diagnose the actual problem.

As far as I know, the scanner can only read the error code number. It cannot do the diagnosis for you.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:48 PM

The scanner didn't diagnosis only gives code P1456. I then went online to see Honda codes. And that's where it said it's the fuel tank pressure sensor. That is how i came to think that must be the issue.

Quick Reply: Idiot Light 'Check Engine Light' [Code:P1456]