General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idle "blip" when upshifting in 2013 Accord Sport 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Default Idle "blip" when upshifting in 2013 Accord Sport 6 speed manual

I have a 2013 Honda Accord Sport with a 6-speed manual. I have always driven stick shifts, so I was surprised when I bought this car how poorly I seem to shift to the next highest gear. I often hear a momentary rev surge when I put the clutch in. In every other stick I've driven, putting the clutch in results in the tach speed quickly going down to idle RPM.

Lately I've figured out that if I am accelerating in 2nd gear (for example), I let off the accelerator, put the clutch in, and can definitely see the tach jump up 200 or so rpm and then go down. Although that explains the clumsy sounding shifts, I can't figure out why it does it. Has anyone else experienced this with their manual Accord Sport? Thanks.
-Brian

Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would speculate this is caused by PCM since the throttle pedal input is electronic (no mechanical linkage between throttle pedal and throttle body valve). Your input to throttle pedal position sensor is relayed to a throttle body valve actuator to cause throttle plate to move.

Suggest checking w/ Honda to see if there's a PCM flash update to correct this problem.

It's possible this is a flaw in system and throttle plate actuator does not respond quickly enough to allow rapid smooth shifts.

good luck

Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

I've noticed this in several cars with motorized throttles. No matter how quickly you lift the accelerator pedal, it will only close the throttle a bit more slowly.

On the one hand, it probably helps inexperienced drivers shift more smoothly. But it annoys the crap out of me.

I think equally this is because of emissions. Suddenly closing the throttle is a situation that generates a lot more unburned HC and this type of programming might be required to prevent that.

I don't know the answer, but I've gotten a bit of a habit of lifting a split-second earlier which is a goofy way to work around it.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks Jim and TexasHonda. I'll ask about a flash update when I take it in for the first oil change, but it sounds like it may be something I need to just get used to.

Jim, I bought this car after my former mechanic flubbed up a balance shaft tensioner replacement on my 2003 Saab 9-3 SS. That's the car I'm comparing this one to in my head. While the actual shift mechanism seems smoother in this car, I preferred the throttle modulation and clutch release in the 9-3. I miss the 9-3!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if the Accord is equipped with this feature, but some manuals have an engine speed match to the transmission when the clutch is pushed in. Might want to ask the dealer about that. Couldn't find anything about it on Hondas site. May be in your Owners manual.