General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Surge after Brake Master Cylinder Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
mbnjagn
Unregistered
Question Idle Surge after Brake Master Cylinder Install

Hi All.

I have a weird problem happening to me on my 1996 Accord EX Wagon.

I installed a new brake master cylinder because of a mushy brake pedal and it slowly moving toward the floor.

The pedal is nice and firm now but after a little bit of driving I came home and parked the car and put it in park and the idle started surging from around 900 - 1000 rpm up to about 1500 rpm and then after a second drops and then after another second heads back to 1500 and it keeps cycling like this.

Did I miss something? I think I can hear a hiss by the master cylinder but is it fuel or an air leak? I sprayed some soapy water in the area looking for bubbles and even felt with my fingers but nothing.

Any other clues?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mbnjagn
Hi All.

I have a weird problem happening to me on my 1996 Accord EX Wagon.

I installed a new brake master cylinder because of a mushy brake pedal and it slowly moving toward the floor.

The pedal is nice and firm now but after a little bit of driving I came home and parked the car and put it in park and the idle started surging from around 900 - 1000 rpm up to about 1500 rpm and then after a second drops and then after another second heads back to 1500 and it keeps cycling like this.

Did I miss something? I think I can hear a hiss by the master cylinder but is it fuel or an air leak? I sprayed some soapy water in the area looking for bubbles and even felt with my fingers but nothing.

Any other clues?

Thanks.
Sounds like you mised the vacume line that conects to the intake plenum from the master cylinder.

Either that or it has a leak. This is a big fat air hose located ontop of the brake booster. (the thing your master cylinder attaches to)

Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
mbnjagn
Unregistered

Oh, I thought of that one. It is all hooked up with the valve in between the hoses.
I might have to look closer for a crack. The funny thing is that when you first start the car cold this does not happen. Only after warming up.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

If it's an air leak, it would be sucking IN. That would explain why you don't see bubbles.

Did you check the length of the MC piston rod? Old & new exactly the same length?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If it's an air leak, it would be sucking IN. That would explain why you don't see bubbles.

Did you check the length of the MC piston rod? Old & new exactly the same length?
Also check the intake plenum for little exposed nipples where an air hose can be attached to. There can be a few tricky ones to see.

Trace all the vacume lines one by one in that area. Look for connections that are broken or cracked lines.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM
mbnjagn
Unregistered

That is true. I will maybe replace some hose and see if it goes away.
I hope the length of the piston rod is correct. I purchased a genuine honda master cylinder. I might have to check again.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:12 PM
mbnjagn
Unregistered

I know there was 2 small hoses which have been reconnected in the correct order on the intake manifold and then the large hose above the master cylinder. Maybe one of them cracked after just age. They still seem pretty flexible.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Genuine Honda MC seems to be good about the piston rod length (from what I've heard). People have said that aftermarket brands can have different length, & then you have to compensate by adjusting the pushrod from the pedal.

Check for double-gasket between the MC & the vacuum booster. I remember at least one thread where the old gasket stuck on the booster & he didn't notice (vacuum leak).

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

remove the brake master again,, there is a seal at the end of cylinder rod,,,,,,,make sure that it is there and also make sure that there is only one seal,,

Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

The seal is #3 in the picture. There should be exactly one.

Quick Reply: Idle Surge after Brake Master Cylinder Install