General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Stuck (95 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 PM
dharwood
Unregistered
Default Ignition Key Stuck (95 Accord)

Hello forum members, hope you are having a GREAT weekend!

Interesting problem: Key will start the car, turn the car off, but will not push in and turn to the 0 position so that the key can be removed.

There is a connector at the 02:30-03:00 position on the keyswitch that when disconnected, allows the key to be removed. The only thing that I have noticed that is missing with this connector removed is the door chime.

The "P" on the instrument cluster does indicate that the transmission (AT) is in park.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Dale

Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
dharwood
Unregistered

Bump for the weekday folks (-:

Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Look in the DIY section for a sticky post about repair manuals to download.
You'll want the wiring drawings for your 95 (which I don't have...)

The ignition interlock is SUPPOSED to hold the key so you can ONLY remove it when the tranny is in PARK. So the gear indicator works, but maybe there's a problem somewhere else in that circuit.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM
dharwood
Unregistered

Jim, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I just returned from looking at the vehicle (it is my Mothers) and verified that the shift indicator is working as the selector indicator says P when in Park.
I looked at the manuals section before posting and found many manuals but did not see a 95. I grabbed a 94 and looked at it but did not spend a lot of time as I do not know these things well enough to know what years were similar. I will look further in the manual and see if I can figure out what all inputs are needed for the key to be released.

(edit) I forgot to include that previously I have disconnected the connector on the right of the switch. I reconnected that tonight and disconnected the solenoid, so everything is working now with the exception of the solenoid.

Thanks again,

Dale

Last edited by dharwood; 11-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

the 94/95 are pretty much identical. The US accord is the KH model when looking at the wiring diagrams.

I'm not sure which connector you removed, because I have never worked with the key interlock.

I would go through the input tests at the control unit that are described in the shop manual for the key interlock. All you need is a volt meter. The interlock system is described in the electrical section under interlock system.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
dharwood
Unregistered

PAhonda, Thanks for the input.

I have not looked at the svc manual, only the wiring schematic. It appears that there is the gear selector switchpack for the dash indicator, as well as a park switch. My guess is that the park switch is in a constant state of open. Now that I know the the 94-95 are at least close I will look at the svc manual and test the inputs to verify my theory.

Again, thanks for the tip. I will post back my results.

Dale

Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
dharwood
Unregistered

UPDATE:

There are 2 switches that detect AT transmission shifter position.
1: Provides input to both the Interlock Control Unit as well as the Instrument Cluster System. This provides a means of selector position to illuminate the correct gear light on the dash as well as checking for P for the interlock.

2: Detects whether the selector is in park or not, providing input to the Interlock Control Unit. To remove the selector from P, you push the button, which moves the center of the selector shaft down against a spring, moving a pin out of a channel allowing the selector to move from the P position. When the selector is in P, the pin is pushed up into the channel, engaging the switch.

In my case, both switches were good, BUT the button was sticking, not allowing the center of the selector to return to the "up" position keeping the pin from traveling all the way to the switch in the channel. Clean and lube the shifter handle/button and all is well. (simply pressing in the button while in park will keep the key from being released)

Hope this helps someone down the line (-:

Dale

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad that it turned out to be something simple to fix once you went through the troubleshooting.

Thanks for posting a solution to the problem.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM

1994 honda accord ex 2dr A/T
im having the same problem. I can shift perfectly fine between Park, Reverse, D4 etc. but cannot remove my key from the ignition. I have had problems with it before but got lucky from jiggling the key and shifter at the same time (required 2 people). Now it is has been stuck like this for the past 4 days. I don't want to take it anywhere bc I dont have a spare key or anything. I tried lubricating the pin, but didn't work...

Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Did you try all the other stuff from the beginning of this thread?

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Stuck (95 Accord)