General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Kill Switch via momentary switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Ignition Kill Switch via momentary switch

Hey all, I recently moved up in the world, from my 97 Accord LX to a 2011 Accord LX, and I'm exploring the option of installing a kill switch for added security. I've been reading up on the various ways to do so (fuel pump, main relay, etc.), but all that I've found require an on/off toggle switch. I'd rather have a momentary switch that I just have to push to start the car, much the same as the clutch. I'd prefer this so that I don't have to engage a kill switch every time I park, as I fear I'd often forget this. Does anyone know if I could install a momentary switch on the starter control circuit? I found a wiring diagram here Accord 8th gen Wiring Diagram - Drive Accord Honda Forums which shows a starter circuit on the ignition switch harness; I was wondering if this is just a control circuit that tells the starter when to fire, and if I could install a normally-open momentary switch on that wire so that I'd have to push the button WHILE turning the key to power the starter?

Thanks for any info you guys can give! Or alternative ideas, for that matter. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Your thread has been moved from the DIY section. Please do not post help questions there, as that section is no longer used for help questions.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

The 2014 Accords have more security features than the 97. The immobilizer system makes sure the key is recognized by the car before starting. Only the dealership can program keys for your car.

I don't want to guess on how your accord is wired, so my first suggestion is to purchase a shop manual for your accord and look at the starter circuit.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PA. Good to know about the keys. In theory, am I on the right track with the starter circuit thing?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

The starter is the only circuit that only turns on when first starting the car.

In my opinion, adding a switch is overkill. If a thief is sophisticated enough to have a programmed key to start your car, they can quickly get the starter to engage.

You may want to consider a GPS vehicle tracker.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

There is the old Ford starter solenoids - the old fender mounted ones. I can't remember the wiring right now but lookup Standard Motor Products PN SS598. You would mount this "inline" with the main power cable (from the battery) to the starter.

Pretty sure, the body of the solenoid grounds at its mounting. Then 12v to the small pin closes the circuit allowing 12v to flow to the starter.

I agree with the others, doing this is "over kill" - on a 2011, a tow truck or someone with "really good skills" are about the only ones that will just drive off with/in the car.