General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Immediately Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Default Immediately Stalls

When I crank, the engine revs up to about 1,000 rpms and then dies. If I can time it just right, I can hit the gas and rev the engine up to 3,000 rpms. As long as I apply gas, it runs. However, once I let it down to about 2,000 rpms, the engine stalls.

I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to the II position. I pulled the distributor and there's no moisture inside the cap. I checked the voltage on the black/yellow wire going to the distributor, and I have voltage. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the fualty ignition swith issue that I've read about on here.

I am at a complete loss. Any suggestions? Fuel, electrical? Main relay or IACV, maybe?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Update: I just checked the CEL code. It's throwing code 15 - Ignition Output Signal. Next step?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Since you already checked voltage at the Blk/Yell wire going to the distributor, it may be the igniter or loose connection. Usually, it will turn out to be a bad igniter, located inside the distributor.

See this link:

Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to

The service manual can be downloaded from the web, see the sticky at the top of this forum.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks! I actually replaced the igniter a couple years ago.

I tried to test the igniter. The green and the black/yellow wires both had 12V on them. I had to run out to get a test light. No (blinking) light on the blue wire on the igniter while cranking. However, I think the battery is almost dead 'cause I left the key in the II position while I was out, so I can't be 100% sure. It's been that kinda day

I'll robably run to the salvage yard tomorrow to pick another igniter up, unless there are any other tests I should run beforehand. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Try that same test for the blinking test light on the yel/grn wire.

You should probably ground the main lead from the coil to the distributor cap. Keep the lead plugged into the coil to ground the coil and not the distributor cap.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

that code is either the igniter or computer, based on your the info that you can keep it running by keeping you foot in the gas...i'm leaning toward the computer, igniters usually cause a complete no start situation...just a guess based on info provided.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM

Update: Just getting started for the day. Pulled the floormat and carpet back to look at the computer. The carpet and floormat were soaked, and there's a puddle of water in the floor. It very well may have shorted the computer out. I have an extra I may throw on, just to see. Any idea why the water would pool like that? The windows were up. Is there a drain plug somewhere that would cause that?

Last edited by dalejamin; 05-15-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Update: It was the computer. Put the spare on and it fired up. Thanks for the help, guys! Now I just need to figure out where the water is coming from. Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Sunroof?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Good thought, but no sunroof. It's always on the passenger side, never on the driver side. That was most likely what did the computer in. I noticed it awhile back, but forgot about it until now. It rained pretty hard over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Immediately Stalls